Touch dimmer keeps blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 5 mains voltage downlights in living room wired to 500W dimmer switch. This is the 3rd time the dimmer has blown, originally i was using 50W bulbs but i then changed them to 35W internally fused bulbs hoping this would prevent problem. bulbs have blown previously and has tripped the mains fuse but dimmer been ok, the dimmer has a fuse inside but the unit is sealed so cant check it. Anyone any ideas on what the problem could be???

Sponsored Links
are the fittings and bulbs the dimmable type? If not then they will feck the dimmer"!!

Sponsored Links
They're LV GU10s - I don't think the luminaire will make a difference....

And 175W on a 500W dimmer doesn't sound outrageous. Riandad - what do the instructions say?

BAS he says they are mains voltage not LV (i.e. 12v)

The reason I asked if the bulbs were dimmable, is that having installed some wall lights for a customer before christmas, she put CFL bulbs in, she complained they flickered and then after a couple of weeks the dimmer went.

I suggested she take the CFL's out and put standard or dimmable bulbs in, low and behold no flickering, no stuffed dimmer!!!

I also wonder if he has remembered to wipe the GU10 bulbs down after handling them, greasey fingers and all that!!!!!

Certainly cheap dimmers are a shocking waste of money, I won't install them!

He said they were 50/35W down lights. I don't know of any 50 or 35W alternatives to halogens.

ELV = 12V, not LV.

I also wonder if he has remembered to wipe the GU10 bulbs down after handling them, greasey fingers and all that!!!!!
GU10s (all? most?) have a glass envelope enclosing the lamp capsule - you can't touch the quartz.

GU10s (all? most?) have a glass envelope enclosing the lamp capsule - you can't touch the quartz.

But the glass outer when 'touched' leaves a finger print and the 'rumour' is that such grease mark will create a hot spot and the lamp will fail earlier than it should.

I find that by sticking to a decent maker such as Osram rather than the shed 6 packs for £5 make for a better investment.

I always use a piece of tissue when handling the bulb so as not to leave any fingerprints. I am using the cheaper bulbs but would this affect the dimmer switch ?

But the glass outer when 'touched' leaves a finger print and the 'rumour' is that such grease mark will create a hot spot and the lamp will fail earlier than it should.
No - it's touching the quartz of a quartz halogen lamp that shortens its life - the glass envelope of a GU10 doesn't matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back