Any Issues With Fitting A Door Here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single skinned garage I would like to add a side door too, it's dense blockwork AFAIK (at east it's a beast to drill), I'm aware that strictly speaking Building Control Approval will be needed, I guess a simple concrete lintel with a 100mm bearing each end will suffice. It will be at least 665mm from the corner so as not to breach that particular regulation. Not sure if I will DIY or get someone in yet, I aim to buy a second hand or ex-display or similar door and have the opening built to suit. Any issues with my thoughts?

inside.jpg

outside.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'll add a step of some type, it's not great but no other choice, my desire to have a pass door outweighs any concerns about access, actually I think on the external pic it would be further to the right than I have indicated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
OK, well perhaps I'll just forget about getting BC approval. Cheaper to buy an indemnity if necessary anyway though I expect to leave this house in a box. External door position will be more like this:

outside 4.jpg

Little bump, any structural issue's anyone can envisage? 100mm high concrete lintel?

the door should have a pier either side, but it’s not the end of the world. I’d be more concerned that there seems to be no pier where the roller door is.
If that’s the case you’ll be seriously compromising the stability of the section of wall between the roller door and your new door.

Thanks guys, this is more useful, the step will be what it is, 99.9% of the time it will only be me accessing the door so I think familiarity with an awkward set up will be fine.

I'm sure I've read on here several times that 100mm bearing is OK for a smallish opening, but that's no problem if I need 150mm.

the door should have a pier either side, but it’s not the end of the world. I’d be more concerned that there seems to be no pier where the roller door is.
If that’s the case you’ll be seriously compromising the stability of the section of wall between the roller door and your new door.
Godwasaplasterer, you say "it’s not the end of the world" but then you say "you’ll be seriously compromising the stability of the section of wall between the roller door and your new door"? o_O

"it’s not the end of the world"
Sorry I should have been clearer.
cutting a hole in the wall, to me , would be ok .The fact that there seems to be no pier at the roller door end makes it not safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back