Any magic ideas please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Usual trouble post rotted off at ground level:cry:

I have tried screwing a block to the old post and levering up with a 6ft post hole bar, it just snapped off. Currently drilling multiple holes with auger bit, but too short so longer ones on order for collection in the morning.

The driveway is my neighbours so that cannot be touched. I can break out some of the concrete my side but really digging down is a massive job.

I intended to remove the old post and reuse the socket either packing with chemical anchor or reducing the size of the post slightly all round and pouring in dry quick setting cement as done with post fix, I have done this before and it worked OK.

Trouble is there are 7 more like this agggg!:eek:
post1.JPG post2.JPG
I did wonder about sharpening up a post hole borer I have an 80mm one on order although I don't hold out much hope for the idea(n)

Any clever solutions would be welcome please.:)

Sponsored Links
you can try breaking up the stump by drilling large holes in it. Once when I was doing that, the remains of wood became loose and I pulled it out on the end of my drill. I think perhaps the heat dried it out enough to shrink. I was expecting to have to finish up with a chisel. Sometimes if you can get them alight and run an airline or blower pipe into the hole, they will burn away.

Have you resolved only to use non-rotting concrete posts in future?

No opted for Oak with some Postsaver sleeves I did mention concrete and the look on Mrs footprints face made the decision simple:ROFLMAO:.

move the posts half a panel along. (I'll get someone to think this is a good idea if it kills me!)

Sponsored Links
I did mention concrete and the look on Mrs footprints face made the decision simple.

No job is too difficult for the woman who hasn't got to do it herself.

A nice splash of matching masonry paint is all you need.

Sometimes if you can get them alight and run an airline or blower pipe into the hole, they will burn away.

This method does work, use burning charcoal to get the fire started, use scrap copper pipe if you have some to get the air between charcoal and top of the stump. Once the charcoal is glowing on top of the stump and if the stump is dry then it can be left burn / smoulder over night without the need to use a blower

Last edited:
Knackered both me and the Bosch multidrill! Pop! It went breaking up the concrete had to resort to hammer crowbar chisel and 6ft lever! I drilled holes in the stump with a nice new 600 mm auger bit went all the way in still not reached the end of the blinking post! So far I have got down 9 inches losing the will to live
Alcohol calls! Off to look at cheap and cheerful sds drills in the morning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back