Shed/cabin base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at getting one of these glorified sheds (marketed as 'log cabins') to use as a room to get away from things - and somewhere to keep the treadmill.

I'm looking at a 3.5m x 3m wide one.

The current area I have in mind for it isn't ideal - has two old concrete paths running through it (years ago I think there was a greenhouse or two there)

Concrete base will be a nightmare. No access for readymix, pumping is cost prohibitive for me. I can borrow a mixer, but I've never done it before - and I've been told the amount I need to mix will be a killer!

I did think about digging out, putting down some type 1 and compacting and using this as a base. Not sure if I'd need concrete blocks etc as well.

The new plastic shed bases/ground grids are expensive for what they are (to me anyway)

I did however, come across this:

http://www.bitsandlogs.co.uk/accessories-286/log-cabin/raised-timber-base-kit
http://www.bitsandlogs.co.uk/image/NEW-DIRECTORY/Raised_timber_base_kit.jpg

I do have a fair bit of 6x2 and some 4x4 posts left over from a raised deck project and can get hold of postcrete for a decent price. Any thoughts on if this is a viable option?

I imagine there wouldn't be much lateral movement, so posts set in a wide shallower hole might be the order here?

The deck I built has no bounce and has taken a fair bit of weight, so I reckon it would be sturdy enough with my lardy arse on the treadmill once in a blue moon.

My dad, being the kind of guy he is, just said to use the 4x4 posts laid flat as a base, or get some railway sleepers and do the same. Not sure that is a good idea though LOL!

Any thoughts, or am I setting myself up for trouble?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I just lay concrete blocks on there side then 2"x 3" bearers, job done, simples :D

That's an interesting option.

Breeze blocks or foundation blocks? Would they need bedding down on anything (cement/sand/type 1/other) ?

The supplied 'base' with the shed is tanalised - they've told me its 68mm x 28mm - seems a bit flimsy to me.

Sponsored Links
Certainly looks like the way to go then. I'll whack the ground down a bit first with a club hammer to make it nice and firm.

Breeze blocks or 7N conc blocks?

What sorta mix for sand/cement, i assume mix it dry out the bag? Excuse my lack of knowledge here!

Cheers

3.5N will do or dense 7's if your feeling strong.

Better to bed them on concrete really, you can buy it ready mixed in bags just follow the instructions but mix it up quite dry so you can hammer the block into it without it wobbling about.

Will be building up the frame this weekend.

Thinking ahead to getting the blocks down, what's the best bet? Dig off the topsoil, put a bit of old brick rubble/hardcore down, mix up concrete and drop the block on and level up while it's all still wet?

as you have said but don;t put rubble/ hardcore underneath. Concrete straight on to the ground once soft soil has been removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back