Sealing a hole in the bathroom wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My first post here and I am no DIY expert so please bear with me and any assistance is greatly appreciated.

I have (unfortunately) an internal bathroom. The vent in the bathroom went into a very old rotting wooden type of "duct" inside the main bedroom cupboard and from there to the external wall of the bedroom.

The vent has been removed in order to install an extractor fan (due to the distance it needs to duct to the external wall, the fan is certrifugal, not a normal stick on the wall axial type, any way this is not important here).

What is important is, the square hole needs to be filled and somewhere in this filling there needs to be the new plastic rigid duct that will run beyond this to the external wall. The extractor fan will then be screwed into the repaired area of the wall, if this makes sense.

My question is, how can I repair this hole so that it has the plastic duct in it and also have it sound enough to hang the centrifugal fan onto it (the fan weighs around 1 kg)?

At first I thought, easy, just build a wooden box and screw it into the inside of the wall, however drilling holes in the wall is not possible due to it's size and the size of the drill, and then plaster and tile over this, then I thought I would concrete it in, however I have no idea how or what is the best way to do this at all.

Oh, the hole is 26x26 cm and is through a brick / concrete wall that is 15cm thick. Pictures are in the Hole in the wall album.

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
Paul

Sponsored Links
Get some 2"x1" tantalised batten (Slating batten) and cut them to size put the l/h one in and then the right one make sure they are both tight fits and then put the top one in make sure it is a tight fit as well then knock the bottom one in, also remember to put some "Stick like S##t " on the reverse of the battens to make it grip when knocked in!! Before you do this you must knock off any "snots" on the area that you are putting the battens in, and make sure they go back enough for you to fit whatever you are using to get flush with the wall when it is finished. I would then put 2 "obo"(masonry nails) nails in each batten to secure it, it doesn't matter if the nails don't go into the wall all the way as long as they don't get in the way of the vent pipe you are inserting.. If you have room you could put 2"x2" treated batten in ,instead of 2x1, Read this through a few times and it might make sense, ;) (It is Saturday night you know||| ;) )

Thanks Roy C will be giving this a go on Thursday when I'm home.

It made complete sense when I read it, probably as it was Saturday night and I was on your wavelength!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back