External hole for extractor fan and materials

Ok I have found this right angle elbow:

13623.jpg

So please confirm if this sounds correct:

extractor into ceiling > 350mm length of plastic ducting to create rise > elbow to turn the ducting left > plastic ducting sloping downwards all the way to the wall into the vent.

Just want to ensure I am connecting the joins properly, do I use something like this and just duct tape over the joins:

Straight Round Pipe Connector 100mm

99325.jpg

And why do screwfix/toolstation not sell the right angle elbow, they just sell this version which goes square at the other end:

18333.jpg

Sponsored Links
No idea why they do not have 90o Bends at wickes/toostation/screwfix ----- this has frustrated me when I needed them for my DIY.
Your description sounds okay to me, but wishing to be pedantic it should be "plastic ducting sloping downwards all the way THROUGH the wall into the vent on the outside wall". :>
I would also say, when you buy these bits from wickes/toostation/screwfix, buy a few spares and take back when you don't use. Nothing worse then being in loft and finding lengths slighty short.
SFK

The round-rectangular one is useful if you are going to have to have a run of exposed ducting - rectangular stuff on a wall, particularly a corner or up against the ceiling looks much better than round.

Can also be useful if you want to come out of the loft through a soffit.

Rectangular ducting is often used for kitchen cooker hoods - so it can be hidden on top of the cupboards. Also, in my flat, there is a longish run from the bathroom to the front wall which is hidden in the gap between the plasterboard ceiling and the block&beam floor above.

And for doing corners, especially if using an inline fan, a short bit of flexible duct is one way of doing it. Caters for non-standard bends, and if used to connect the rigid ducting to the fan will reduce vibration transmitted along the rigid duct.

Sponsored Links
I had an extractor installed in my bathroom. It had a flapper close to the end of the spigot on the fan assembly. To stop the rain blowing in I put a cowl on the outside. This caused the flappers to clatter like fu - er - crazy in the wind, so I removed them. So far it does not appear to have caused excessive draught, so here's hoping!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back