Any one guess what mechanic has done here?

M

marsaday

My van has just had the master brake fluid cylinder changed and in the process he damaged a caliper so that was changed as well (i had to pay for it). He also damaged the tracking on one side so a new part was needed there and i now need to pay to get it tracked.

It has been a disaster of a time as he has messed me about keeping the van for a week.

anyway i got it back on friday and used it yesterday properly.

After a 30 mile journey the "STOP" light came on the dashboard and i got my mate to google what this may mean. He said brake fluid. Underneath it was all wet around the central engine area.

This morning there is fluid under the rear right wheel and the front right wheel and under the engine area.

I injected some brake fluid yesterday to keep me going (called at a kwik fit) and this has stopped the warning sign from coming on so all ok there.

It is now back with the mechanic, but i wondered what has he not done when doing all this work ? Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the bleed nipples aren't done up properly, esp if there's fluid on the right-rear where no other work was done except bleeding the brakes.

The 'mechanic' - word used sparingly - probably snapped off a caliper bleed nipple as he was intending to bleed the system after the work was done.
This is almost one of those 'fair enough' problems - but in effect the system can be bled from the top - if you know whats what.
The tracking upset is nonsense.
As for leaving the bleed nipples undone (or whatever) - completely unforgivable.
John :)

Yes he snapped a bleed nipple off and i had to pay for a new caliper. said it was rusted up.

He has fixed it tonight and it was the fluid reservoir which he had punctured while changing the master brake cylinder which is positioned behind the reservoir.

No charge and he got a 2nd hand one from the scrappers.

Still not sure why i had fluid near the rear wheel this morning. Prob the nipples, but i assume he has tightened these up today.

I will check in the morning for any fluid.

Is is a difficult job to close these nipples then, seeing as he broke one ?

Sponsored Links
The fluid on the wheels is prob just his laziness and not connecting a hose and just letting it spray over the wheel/floor.

IS HE A TRAINED MECHANIC? wow.
must be great to be able to charge the customer buckets of dosh everytime he breaks something SOZ M8 NOT MY PROBLEM.

Are you sure the mechanic disturbed the tracking while fixing your brakes? And the caliper was perfectly alright before the master cylinder failed?

If you have brake fluid leaking from the wheel cylinders, the brake pedal will be going to the floor, how can you drive a van like that?

We see people getting very disillusioned with their mechanic, but its usually nothing to do with the work carried out. More to do with getting, what they think is a hefty bill and suddenly everything becomes the mechanics fault?

I realise he should fix his cockups trouble himself free of charge but may be worth going to another mechanic. in the long run you'd be less inconvenienced with time off the road and minimise more cockups from him.

A fluid reservoir is probably the only thing concerned with brakes that I would get from a scrapper.....some of these plastic bottles have a take off for the clutch, and its dead easy to catch it with your sleeve and crack it.
John :)

Yes he is cheap that is why i use him, but this episode has really tested my patience.

The van seems fine today, so all ok i hope.

To change my cam belt which needs doing end of this year he will charge me £70 if i supply the kit.

Mursal";p="2749973 said:
Are you sure the mechanic disturbed the tracking while fixing your brakes? And the caliper was perfectly alright before the master cylinder failed?

Yes he told me a part broke which controls the tracking (£11) when he did the caliper. So i have to pay to have it retracked.

This guy has really cocked up this job, but other jobs have been fine.

It seems well established that car mechanice charge for parts which break during working on the car.

With gas boilers I think that many engineers accept the cost themselves!

Tony

To change my cam belt which needs doing end of this year he will charge me £70 if i supply the kit.

Which he'll keep for himself and he'll fit an old pair of tights from the scrappy instead.

If a mechanic claims he can change a cambelt for £70 then it should be a pretty easy cambelt change, and therefore might be easier to do it yourself.

Sponsored Links
Back