Any Other Floor Levelling and Strengthening Options?

tiz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old farm house which has floors that need levelling and strengthening. Each floor is supported by the perimeter walls and a single central beam. There are other smaller joists (3" x 4") which run perpendicular to the central beam, from the central beam to the perimeter walls. By today's Building Regs standards, these joists are a little under-sized and they have been notched and drilled in unapproved locations. They have also moved such that the floor dips in the middle.

I have a plan (see below) but I would love to hear any suggestions for simpler and less labour intensive alternatives.

I plan to level and strengthen the floor by attaching additional timbers to one (or both sides) of each smaller joist, such that:
- the new timbers are level
- the new timbers are 1 or 2 inches deeper than the existing small timbers (to allow space for new wiring and plumbing)

I then plan to patch in new timber in the worst of the over-sized notches in the existing timbers.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back