1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Peugeot 406 Owners?

Discussion in 'General Cars' started by cwhaley, 15 Jan 2020.

1. cwhaley

cwhaley

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Any Peugeot 406 owners on here? I have abandoned 8 years of Ford ownership with their hit-or-miss TDCi engines to buy a 2.0 HDi.

The engine bay is refreshingly well laid out with most serviceable parts accessible to work on. It's done 153k but from talking to people in the owner's club before buying, they've said they're capable of many more miles than that. Easier than the Ford to start in cold weather and the fuel economy seems great (even with my heavier right foot, it being the 90 HP version!)

It has a few issues chiefly the fact that the car shudders/vibrates when pulling away in first gear -- presuming this is bottom engine mounts.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    PeterN is the guru concerning these (haven’t seen him for agaes though).
    They are an exceptional engine, and a good car overall.
    The juddering could be a clutch, maybe but do check the mounting at the bottom of the gearbox which connects to the bodyshell.
    John :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. cdbe

cdbe

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have the same 2.0HDI 90 in my Berlingo with a mere 78K on the clock. No issues to report with the engine. I did the timing belt last year and it was quite straightforward despite me never doing one before. I had an issue with the starter motor a few years ago and found that mine was a small 1.4kw version which they have since upgraded to a 1.7kw (straight swap replacement) - the bigger one solved my starting issues, but I don't know why the small one worked for 12 years (although I think they gradually get gunged up with iron filings). Had to replace perfectly good clutch last year due to failed release bearing (clutch man said it's far too small and a common failure), but no DMF to worry about. My alternator started whining 3 years ago (bearings) but still works so I turn the radio up! - did buy a replacement from a breaker last year but the courier dropped it and smashed the diode pack so I shoved it in the boot (in case it packs up while I'm out and I can persuade the AA to swap it all over!).
    I bought mine after seeing my neighbour buy an absolutely worn out 406 2.0 HDi estate with 250k on the clock for £250 and running it as a builders/furniture removal "van" for 4 years with just a weekly top up of water and a squirt of easi-start on cold winter mornings!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    An excellent vehicle, the Berlingo - one of the best of all time and still is!
    I was a bit concerned with my 56 1.9D model - it started to rust at the wheel arch but Ive never noticed it on other vans.
    It also needed a new rear axle ( a bit of a faff that one), two wheel bearings and a clutch......only 75k too:(
    I run a Bipper now - a grossly inferior vehicle, but the price was right.

• Like Like x 1
  6. cwhaley

cwhaley

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the words both. Regarding starter motors I had read about the 1.4kw being perhaps a little inadequate for this engine. I've found it a little slow to start on the colder mornings (below 3 degrees) but certainly not non-starting but was going to dissemble it and clean. Reading this I may consider a straight swap of the upgraded unit if it'd be easier.

Really pleasing to hear good feedback on the engine. For a car that's 19 years old it drives nicely and feels like it just wants to go on and on. It's a little rattly at the back over bumps so when I have the time I'll check the springs/shocks when I look at the mounts.

IMG_0489.jpg

7. Sponsored Links
  8. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There are 3 starters available for the Berlingo, each with a differing number of teeth (12, 13, and 14 but don't quote me) - its vital to check that the locating dowel is in place on the bell housing if you replace it yourself and it often falls out with disastrous results (The starter goes out of alignment and wrecks itself in the ring gear.)
    That Peugeot looks excellent! I seem to remember the rear suspension on the estate versions has drop links which are prone to wear but its been a long time since I've seen one.
    The front springs are about 3' long :eek: but give a comfy ride. I think these have an Eloys fluid tank which needs replenishing at 80k.
    Good luck with it!

9. Londoner2

Londoner2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Vibration could do with clutch/dmf wearing out.

10. cwhaley

cwhaley

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks, as burnerman says it could be the clutch or the mountings for the engine or gearbox. I've also heard the springs between the plates can wear. Luckily there is no DMF on this model!

Also no DPF (think it was only the 2.2 which had one) so I presume no need for Eloys fluid??

Out walking this weekend but will take a look over everything I can soon. So much room under the bonnet it's brilliant.

11. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The vehicle I remember was a blue estate on a Y plate so that makes it around 2001 I think. I don't know what the engine size was but thought it was a 1.9. TD.
    The emissions lamp was on but the performance was unaffected - and those were the days when the MOT didn't count that as an issue.
    Good luck with what you find!

Sponsored Links