Any Point in Guarantee From Builder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per title,

Is there any point in getting them to give me some kind of guarantee?

Ie, building works guaranteed for......

Basically, I'm having the roof done, loft made into useable space with windows, 1st floor wall under bay window replaced, uppermost triangular section of front wall to roof replaced, rendering front & back & painted.

The guy has long standing customers he has done extensive renovations over the years for who are all well happy. I know person who had loft conversion done 8 years ago, etc.

Should i ask for some kind of guarantee in writing, and if so what?

Sponsored Links
A single "cover all" guarantee is unfeasible or unworkable.

Certain materials, that are correctly installed are guaranteed for so long by the manufacturer. Perishable items are, er, perishable so they will only last a set time.

Workmanship and quality of work is another matter. I guess the builder is obligated to ensure quality a set period of time, but what is reasonable?

Quantifying things like seasonal movement, shrinkage, settlement, weather damage etc, is a bit of a grey area too.

So what is it you want guaranteeing....?

Thanks noseall.

Just wanted to see if it's normal practice, and whether I should be asking for it.

If it's workmanship, then how long is reasonable?

Precisely.

A building can last several lifetimes but not without maintenance.

Some items will need maintaining after say 5 years, some later on etc.

What are you looking for from the guarantee?

Sponsored Links

Depends. Workmanship is a contract and you are entilted to claim for breaches for a period of 6 years. (can be extended by contract or if the builder deliberately covers up poor workmanship) The succes of any claim though will be modified by the specified quality and materials. In other words, if you specify top quality materials and workmanship then you would be more likely to succeed in claims right up to the 6 years - but of course you will also attract high prices. Going to the other extreme, if you want a cheap job then you will need to lower your expectations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back