Any pointers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've found a few threads that have covered his issue before I want to check i'm along the right lines. Removed some 180mm skirting, logically i'd replace with some the same size or bigger but I have sourced some cheap 170mm from a trade supplier that will match the rest of the house. Some parts of the room are plastered down near the floorboards, others I need to lower.

I was thi

Pic 1) Cut out strip of plasterboard and screw it to the wood struts that are in place. Straight on top apply a coat of bonding plaster, wait to dry then finish it off with a coat of multi-finish. Screw the skirting into where the struts currently are if I mark it out beforehand

2) PVA the brick, coat of bonding, wait to dry then multi-finish. Glue on skirting?

3) Pulling the glued skirting off caused the bead to bend. It requires a bit of weight to hold it back in place. What can I use to fill the crack that will hold it once dried?

It's my first time plastering so any suggestions including products that would make it straightforward would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Hi, not a plasterer but would suggest that unless you are confident at skimming/feathering in the join you may be better just building up with bits of board and bonding as you've suggested but finishing with easi-fill (a sandable finishing filler). Alternatively you could just nail a strip of 10mm timber to the bottom of your skirts which would be hidden by your floor covering.

Thanks, i've had a go at a small part. Went with hardwall, then have just skimmed over it with some multifinish. Took ages as I found it tricky not working to an edge (went to an inch or so of the floorboards) and a trowel in such a small gap. The top part which will be visible doesn't look too bad, but will wait for it to dry to confirm that.

You may think it looks fine but until it’s painted and the right light catches it you’re not really going to know. If you can run your finger over the join and feel ANYTHING it’ll be seen when painted when the light catches it. I’d agree with the above in that feathering all that area out is a pretty fiddly job and not easy to get perfect, if you don’t mind the dust easifil is likely to get you an easier quick result.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, it's certainly not smooth, it's actually a bit grainy near the join. The bottom part also it's not flush with the top so the skirting would probably need padding out. I'll pick up some easy-fill tomorrow, take it the bit i've done will need a decent amount of PVA but can the easi-fill go on the hardwall without it provided I don't leave it too long between coats?

Dried out hardwall would suck hard so I’d still pva it. Hardly ever use easifill tho so could be wrong . You can also sand the bit you’ve already done to get it right, just won’t sand as easy as easyfill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back