Patching Plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process of renovating first home and had a little accident prising the skirting off a stud wall. Watched some videos but want to check what i'm doing is along the right lines. We've got a plasterer coming in to skim but I thought i'd repair it so it's ready for him and saves £.

Is it simply a case of squaring off the hole, cutting out a piece of plasterboard the same depth (9.5mm) and screwing it into the studs and taping the edges? I'm wondering if I need to span some timber between the studs to offer backing to the patch?

We also want the plasterer to skim down lower than bottom of the plasterboard (higher skirting would mean we might need to raise sockets). So that he skim onto something, do I just cut some long strips and screw them to the studs?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You’ve got the idea. Yes another bit of batten behind the hole will help get a good fixing. You can also gripfill the batten to the back of the existing board if that’s easier, then fix new piece to it when it’s set. You sure it’s 9.5mm, 12.5’s more normal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back