Bubbles in old plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently renovating and in our living room seems to be a complete mix of stuff. Some walls are skimmed whilst right next to it appears to be lining paper that's been painted to blend in. Thinking about getting the whole lot skimmed but before we do one wall has got a few bubbles on in 3 different areas. Chiselled away at them, one small area appears like it's been skimmed over paper which concerned me but 30 cm to the right appears normal plaster job but the surrounding sounded very hollow so i've chipped away all around it, other area was hollow but where walllight wiring has been fitted. The bubbles are all on an adjoining wall to next door and no radiators were above them when we moved in. I'll get a plasterer in but want to ensure we get a proper finish and don't have issues in the future.

Is it safe to assume any solid sounding areas can just be skimmed over? Should I try and locate any hollow areas and chisel away patches until the plaster is solid?

Skim over paper?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
is that an interior wall?
remove all hollow an bubbled stuff.
have you checked the room above and at the skirtin below the patches for daamp signs or more bubblin?
be certain ther's no dampness.
then take out the suction and patch up with a small bag of easifill or similar repair powder.
be careful look out for a cable to the wall light

Thanks, yeah it's an interior wall, no signs of damp. Just concerned about getting a good finish and if means hacking a load off then best do it now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back