New Base Rail+Hand Rail Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently ripped out the knackered old base rail + hand rail from our landing. Whoever did it before had only half supported the off centre base rail with a bit of trim. If i line the new base rail up with the middle of the newel post at the top of the stairs then it sits away from the floorboards with only a tiny support at one end and then the floorboards at the other. So how do I got about making it good?

Complete novice to all this but I was thinking of screwing two timber battens the length of the stairs into the joist, then overboarding with a length of ply? Then screw or use adhesive to fix the base rail to this. How would I make the underside look presentable? Leave enough space below the timber to fit some plasterboard before taping the join and then skimming over?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I’d do it the same as you. Screw another timber onto the joist and then cover that with something you can paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back