Curtain Rail Woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved house and finished redoing the bedroom. Previous owner sensibly had a strip of timber above the window for the rail to attach to but we decided it looked better without. Had some issues getting standard screws to hold but I got there in the end. After a few weeks it's come down. I've chiselled away at the blown plaster.

Now i'm wondering where I go from here? I was thinking of building it up with some bonding, finishing off with some easi-fill, then i'd use long masonry screws instead slightly to the side that would reach the brick and hopefully provide a secure fitting. Does that sound reasonable? Is there another product that would be better to use than bonding to fill the holes, perhaps some filler that comes in a tube? Could also mix up some concrete I have

Cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
use a knife to square off the patch.
damp it down to take up suction and use any small tub of ready mix repair plaster.

deff best to fix curtain rail to a prepainted board use long screws into plugs in the masonry behind the lime render. keep all fiixings away from the old fixin hoiles.

OP - assuming you’ve not done it yet...

one think to watch is that above the window is sometimes a steel lintel. You can be happily drilling a new hole with a masonry drill and then find it.
The drill will likely skip about and make a mess. Just one thing to be aware of.

Thanks Nick, I removed a bit more of the loose concrete and it revealed a wood lintel. I've filled the hole with a couple of coats of bonding and gone over it with some easi fill and sanded. Intend to paint it then put one screw into the lintel and one into the brick that sits above it

Sponsored Links
two things for what theyr worth.
lime render sugests old property, old propertys have wood lintels not steel.
curtain rails and curtain rail boards are typical fixed above any lintel height

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back