any recommendation for a washer dryer - or are they all bad?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to get an integrated (built in) washer-dryer for my new kitchen I am having. This is not as easy as it sounds. Which.co.uk doesn't recommend any saying they dry terribly and the rinsing is very poor. The only one they did almost recommend was a Hotpoint. However just one look at reviews on tinternet shows irate customers complaining about the Hotpoints just breaking down all the time.

If you can recommend one or even better have one which washes, dries and isn't always braking down you couldn't tell me the model could ya?? Thanks for your help. :)

Don't have the room for separate washer and dryer, otherwise I would. :(

Sponsored Links
although it is not integrated i have an Ariston AB1030C it has served me well for 3+ years

limitations are

a full wash load will not dry properly - i split the load after the wash and dry in two halves

spin cycle on the soft side (progs 8 onwards ) is not strong enough again i just use spin no 7 after the wash has finished if i use these programmes

never had a rinse problem that i know of

avoid the cheap CDI, Baumatic, essentials branded ones as they are terrible - i know i was service engineer for them

yeah I take it by cheap we are meaning £300-£500. This is the impression I am getting. Its a false economy to buy cheap washer dryer. I was reading about how somebody had bought an indesit one for like £400 and the engineer who came out to repair actually told the guy that indesit washer dryers are crap build.

Will see if there are any ariston washer dryers about. :)

I just had a look at Which for you.

You probably already know
"Choosing a washer-dryer certainly saves space, and can also save money, but compromises will be made because a combined machine is never as good as a good separate washing machine or tumble dryer."

None of the Integrated were Best Buys.

Best buys were

Miele WT2670
Price: £1,000

AEG-Electrolux L16830
Price: £480

John Lewis JLWD1408
Price: £499

If you want the details, pop along to your local library who will have a copy.

the John Lewis has a 3-year guarantee

Sponsored Links
thanks John D - two heads are better than one!!!

I do have a subscription to Which so I don't need to go to the library. Interesting about the John Lewis ones. There arenn't any integrated ones reviewed on which but i think my local store has some. Maybe its an idea for me to pop along and check it out. JL electricals tend to be reliable, plus I will make sure to get some insurance for it. I don't trust these washer - dryers at all :)

all washer driers are "insert your own word here"

they are all flawed by design.

they cant dry what they just washed

if it all goeas wrong you lose both

you cant dry while you wash

more to wrong

pain in the bum to fix

I went with a AEG-Electrolux L14710VIT Lavamat Turbo

Its the top of the range AEG Electrolux one and I found one online for £530. It is reviewed in Which and they didn't totally slate it so I think this is gonna be as good as it gets. I read one person online giving it a glowing review. Whether it is a fake review or not, who knows?

if u dont have room for two applainces,( a garage / shed / airing cupboard ???( are possibilties condenser driers do no require external ventilation, however i feel vented are preferable, but a condenser drier in the airing cupboard (if you have a immersion tank its possible to postion it above on a shelf as the driers are not particulary heavy) would be more favourable than a combo !! yer you may need to get a socket to plug it in installed but would be worth it !!(if not get a washing line and save your 20p 's and pop to the launderette !! when it rains !! yer it does not answer ur question but , its will be much less stressful than a washer drier combined !! also u can do all your washing and dry it all in less 30 mins usually at the launderette !! and if it goes wrong no stress involved !!

tried n tested !! and 3 loads of washing pop it in the big drier and done for 2 quid !!

not only are combo washer driers useless at drying etc ... they are very inefficient !! and as mentioned in earlier posts they are more trouble than they are worth......

i live in a modern 2 bed appartment altho spacious considering , its surprising how space can be utilised with a little thought !

if u have kids etc and feel u really need a drier !! in reality the combo is not gonna be of much use !!

timhilto, the OP has probably decided by now, look at the post date

posted Thu Sep 13, 2007

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back