Any regulations regarding stopcock location ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Could somebody please tell me whether there any regulations on where stopcocks have to be situated?

I had been told by a builder that if a stopcock has to be moved, the new location must be around the kitchen sink and no where else.

many thanks

Sponsored Links
That's a new one on me, but I am prepared to stand/sit corrected if someone knows different.

Plenty of regs about how it should be installed, but as to where it must be located - don't think so.

Mine's in the corner of the front room since I had a supply separation - Wessex Water said no problem with this location.

Put it where you want, fuc**ng daft builders, what has it got to do with them where the service goes and why would you ever consult them in regards this anyway?

Tell them to go stack bricks and leave the technical side of things to people who finished primary school without being expelled :D

Sponsored Links
It is normally situated near the kitchen sink to ensure that the first "take off" from the rising main is for drinking water and will not be contaminated.

It`s normally situated wherever your mains water pipe enters the property,this could be hallway,under stairs,kitchen,by front door.Not set in stone and not regulated as to where it should be accessible.

Hi

Could somebody please tell me whether there any regulations on where stopcocks have to be situated?

I had been told by a builder that if a stopcock has to be moved, the new location must be around the kitchen sink and no where else.

many thanks

Assuming for a moment that the incoming supply is being moved then yes there are regulations for the point of entry although it does not matter which room. The regulations will require the point of entry to be 750mm from an external wall or the incoming pipe will require insulation as it rises up out of the ground. The builder needs to install the duct. The stopcock should be as near to the point of entry as possible

One example:
http://www.unitedutilities.com/documents/1344_How_20to_20lay_20new_20pipe.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back