Any requirement to complete all works agreed by council?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've tried to do a search on what I consider sensible words, but can't find an answer. if I've missed a relevant response I apologise and feel free to provide a link.

Background:
I am looking to get planning permission to do quite a bit of work on our semi (levelling out/infilling the 'open' side of the house, hip to gable roof extension, 4m single floor extension across back - neighbour is applying for similar).

Part of the plans will include converting the integral garage to a room, changing the frontage from a garage door to a brick wall with window. However, I am not sure whether we will want to get it converted, we may leave it as a garage (but it will still be altered to fit in with the levelling up of the side, so it would not be a simple matter of change of use). I would prefer to go through the stress and expense of planning permission only once for the whole lot in case we do go through with the complete plan (we have another external garage and driveway, so no issues with parking space).

Question:
If I obtain planning permission for all of the work but decide not to convert the garage (but complete the rest), can the council force me to go through with the totality of the agreed plans, specifically, converting the garage frontage?

Many thanks in advance for your answers.

Sponsored Links
No they can't. First of all, once works are started you can take as long as you like to complete them. So you could just say I'll get started on the garage in due course and that due course could be anything you want. But that won't be necessary because, unless the extension part was conditional upon the garage part, which it won't be, you can just change your mind and not do it.

Just something to bear in mind... only apply for Building Reg's for the works you WILL be doing because in that situation, if the garage conversion was included on the same application as the rest of the works, you would not be issued with a completion certificate. Unless your "friendly" BCO could take the garage off the proposal if you decided to not proceed with it. Building Reg fees would be slightly cheaper too.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back