Any suggestions on how to finish door ways?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please see the attached pictures of our door frames which have been plasterboarded and skimmed. As you can hopefully see we are left with gaps all around the door frames, what would be best to fill these in with before fitting the architraves? Stripwood?

I was thinking about just filling the gaps with polyfilla but I can't imagine I'd get a good finish on the corners like you would with beading and seen as its been skimmed its too late to put beading round and fill with plaster.

Many thanks for any suggestions,
Chris

Sponsored Links
the only way to get a good finish is to do it properly
you do not plaster over the door lining or frame yo plaster up to the back edge
cut back the plasterboard attach timber to the frame to bring it level with the face off the plasterboard
or remove the door lining and attach a new one the correct size

if you dont have timber you have nothing to attach the architraves to

The door stop lining will solve that first image.

If the frame cannot be repositioned in that second image then fit a drywall corner bead and skim over to the frame.

The finished architrave is then cut down to suit.

Thanks for the advice, the overall width of the walls is around 7" the biggest frames I've seen are 6" however the only ones I could get at the time were 5" and I was advised they would be fine and should get on with skimming.

Think I will have to use a combination of both your tips, some doorways are worse than others so will try whichever might work best! The next problem I see is one wall is leaning badly and the frame is straight (almost an inch out at the top on one side) so not sure how this will look. Didn't see this until it had all been skimmed so too late to do anything with this now.

Oh how I wish I knew weeks back what I now know!!

Thanks again,
Chris

Sponsored Links
you can use stock timber to make your own linings to any size really

with the wall being about 1" out if its on the face the door will close flush with your only option is to sink the architrave into the wall about 75% the architrave thickness and finnish proud the other end

on the other side you could loose about half the differece and slope the architrave 12mm and pad out the architrave 6mm and sink it 6mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back