Any tips/advice on lifting heavy lintels up into place?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My first post, so not sure if in correct section.

I have recently constructed a large lean-to extension on my gaff and am just about ready to hit out my rear elevation.

The steel column and 2no beams have arrived and are huuuge and darn heavy (350kg). Took 8 of us to drag around and lay in position.

I have been scratching my head on how to physically get them up into position without hurting anybody and staying safe.

I really need some real world advice on how to go about it.

I have loads of acros, 2no block and tackles, some small tower scaffold, scaffold boards and trestles.

Initial thoughts are to swing into rough position with an engine hoist, then build tower over each end and winch up each end onto a trestle, then winch and acro until close and then acro the last bit.

Any thoughts on how to keep safe and get them into position appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Google Genie SLA 20 super lift hoist. Will lift 363kg.
Most decent hire centres have them. We use them all the time for lifting and placing steels.
oldun

Hi

My first post, so not sure if in correct section.

I have recently constructed a large lean-to extension on my gaff and am just about ready to hit out my rear elevation.

The steel column and 2no beams have arrived and are huuuge and darn heavy (350kg). Took 8 of us to drag around and lay in position.

I have been scratching my head on how to physically get them up into position without hurting anybody and staying safe.

I really need some real world advice on how to go about it.

I have loads of acros, 2no block and tackles, some small tower scaffold, scaffold boards and trestles.

Initial thoughts are to swing into rough position with an engine hoist, then build tower over each end and winch up each end onto a trestle, then winch and acro until close and then acro the last bit.

Any thoughts on how to keep safe and get them into position appreciated.

Thanks in advance

With the equipment you have its quite easy as long as you take your time.

You will need two small scaffold towers or one split into two units.

Put part of your tower either end of your RSJ, i.e. beside each of the pad stones. I said part of your tower as what you do is lift one end of the RSJ onto a partly built tower and then the other end onto a partly built tower so that you lift the RSJ as you build the towers in say 2 foot lifts or as your tower allows.

However that is the cheap and not so safe method. If you really want to be safe you would use a forklift or a Crain at £400 for 4 hrs use.

good luck and stay safe. geoff

Out of curiosity, how do you get a forklift or crane into a built lean to extension?

Price List Genie Super Lift Hoists.
Code Item 1st Day Add Day
70107 454kg Lift/stacker Manual Sl10 £97.80 £32.60
Weekend Week hire
£114.10 £163.00 1st Day Add Day
70109 363kg Lift/stacker Manual Sl15 £110.70 £36.90
Weekend Week hire
£129.15 £184.50 1st Day Add Day
70115 295kg Lifter Stacker 7.6m Sl25 £117.00 £39.00
Weekend Week hire
£136.50 £195.00

Prices (E and OE) are exclusive of VAT and are in UK Sterling

You will possibly get one cheaper than above rates. :D
oldun

Sponsored Links
I'm wondering how you have ended up with such a large beam in a rear lean-to extension. If the span is 6 metres (that's a guess) that's 60kg per metre. These beams usually run at about 203 deep or possible 254 deep but even the biggest 305 deep beam is only 33kg/m.

I'm guessing the engineer has specified a column section rather than a pair of beams to be bolted together in-situ. If so he needs to be taken around the back and thrashed.

I'm wondering how you have ended up with such a large beam in a rear lean-to extension. If the span is 6 metres (that's a guess) that's 60kg per metre. These beams usually run at about 203 deep or possible 254 deep but even the biggest 305 deep beam is only 33kg/m.

I'm guessing the engineer has specified a column section rather than a pair of beams to be bolted together in-situ. If so he needs to be taken around the back and thrashed.

We usually use single UC sections in situations such as this. So a 203x203x60 at 6m comes out at 360kg.

UC sections have a much higher buckling resistance moment than UB sections so can be much shallower in depth. Don't know if a pair of 305 UBs would work but I wouldn't want to have to work out the combined buckling capacity...

Another benefit of UC sections is that deflections will be the same for both the inner and outer leaf (if cavity).

Also less fabrication costs...half as many cuts, half as many connections, so half as much welding and drilling...doesn't apply if no columns though...

I'll have to ask the partners at my firm why we rarely use doubled up beams...maybe they deserve a good thrashing too :LOL:

Many thanks for all of the replies.

RE: Oldun.
Liking the Genie lift. I have an engine hoist to get the beams up to waist level and then can slide the genie in underneath for the big lift to floor level.
HSS have an SL10 which looks perfect (thanks for the idea, this is what i needed was some real works advice).
Thanks for your help!

RE: Chipz
Like this. I will use this logic to get up to waist height and to also build up as temporary protection with the steels in case the genie fails etc.

RE: Jeds
span is 8.8m spilt in two and resting on a single UC. Joists run into rear elevation and parallel with rear elevation (dont ask!) so lintel/bemas had to fit underneath and protrude into the building as i have a H section affair that also bolts onto the big boys. Property is 2storey with a loft conversion. My only spec was that the lintels/beam had to be as shallow as possible, and also have as close to zero deflection as possible.

Eng went for a 254? and not 2no separate lintels as he was struggling to calc the connections? Perhaps he still needs to be taken around the back and thrashed as they were darn heavy to carry and expensive.

I have only guessed at the weight as they have great big 25mm thick end plates welded on, and seem blimmin heavy. Think they are about 300-350kg for the big boy.

Thanks for the thoughts and advice.

OK, that's a big span for a domestic. Column sections do allow a shallower beam but that's a lot of weight to be lifting and placing above your head. Definitely the beam lifters are the best option. Only thing is you never seem to be able to get them exactly where you want them with acrows and strongboys all over the place. Good luck.

Thanks to all.

I hired a Genie SL10 (thanks to your advice) and it worked an absolute treat.

Lintels (and the column!) lifted in place easily and no one hurt/backs put out. All well all around!.

Thanks for the steer and advice.

jeds";p="1763071 said:

well so far you have proved that you know nothing about structual steelwork... so i suggest that you should not comment...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back