Supporting wall removal in Bungalow questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I've read all the posts in this forum and others regarding supporting walls / acros / strongboys / padstones as I want to undertake the removal of a wall in my bungalow.

I think it is a straightforward job but I would like to double check some things and would really appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

The job is to remove a wall between my kitchen and dining room to create an opening roughly 3 meters wide. This would leave approx 0.75 metre either side of the wall remaining and roughly 0.5 metre above the opening (which I guess will be the Lintel and a few bits of brick above that).

The wall is supporting in that the joists above run adjacent to the wall, so the wall is propping up those joists.

I think I ought to use an RSJ as this would ensure that the loft space is still ok for conversion at a later date (if I ever have that sort of money!)

The wall is single brick thickness.

The floor below is timber.

I'm just a normal 'doesn't have a clue really' home DIYer and I will be tackling this job with a couple of mates, one of whom is experienced in building and has done lintelling on windows, but hasn't done an RSJ wall knock through before.

The way I see it things should go something like this:

1. Knock a hole at either end and in the middle of the space for the lintel and support with an Acro either side about 0.5 metre apart (through the wall) sitting on some scaffolding planks and with some sort of wood going through the hole. (What kind of wood?) or I could use 3 acros with a strong boy on each.

2. Jack up the acros so they take the weight of the few bricks above and the joists (How tight?)

3. Knock out the remaining space to create a hole which will take the lintel (what size of RSJ?)

4. Knock out the rest of the opening.

5. Now get the RSJ with at least a 150mm space either side of supporting wall and put this into the hole using 2 more acros at each end.

6. Slop some muck / gobbo / compo on the top of the RSJ and raise into position against the top brickwork raising from the ends not the middle.

7. Place a padstone at each end underneath the RSJ and get it tight below the RSJ (How?)

8. Leave to set / go off (how long?)

9. Finish up with plasterboard etc

10. Job's done?

Is that right?

I'm also unsure about the padstone. If I'm placing the lintel on what's left of the wall do I need a padstone because the weight can't really get distributed any more than it already is? How do I prevent the bricks from crushing below other than rebuilding each side which engineering brick?

I know I will need to get the Local Authority Building inspector in to check it out - will he come out before the job is started to tell us what we need to do? (Tea / Biccies / Girlfriend in low cut top!)

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,

Dave

Sponsored Links
Not only will building control want to check it out , they will more than likely ask for your structual calculations , suggest you have a word with them before you proceed, they are usually very helpfull.

Yes I'm going to get Building Control involved. I think the job is of the kind that they will have seen hundreds of times before so they should be able to give me an idea on the size of RSJ to have etc.

The main thing I don't understand is how a padstone works if the supporting walls are single skin.

I know the padstone is to spread weight distribution onto the brickwork below but I can't see how that can be achieved if the supporting walls are single skin.

Any ideas?

Padstones may not be necessary if the walls are brickwork like you say. Any loading from a floor alone (and a small amount of brickwork) is likely to be quite modest, and given it's only a 3 metre span the point loads of the bearings should not be excessive. Perhaps you could have a longer bearing length of the steel, say 300mm to ensure the load is evenly spread. As suggested, contact Building Control for further advice.

Sponsored Links
I spoke to the BO and he said that as I'm not getting my calcs done I need to put in padstones over more than 1 brick to support the oversized rsj. If I'd got a SE calc done he'd have been ok with engineering block. so your suggestion of going out 300 each side would make sense.

I'm now trying to find out what type of RSJ to fit and what size of padstone to fit.

This of course is the number one question that everyone has.

The wall is only single skin. If I use a padstone 440x215x100 isn't the 215 the width? in which case the padstone will stick out the side of the wall? Or is the 100 the width? or do you turn it on its side?

If you'd read my original posting then you'd see that I'm not really going to be doing the work. I'm going to be pushing barrows about full of rubble.
I'm just trying to get as much knowledge about things because I'm interested. It isn't my day job. We're not building the Taj Mahal. I was only asking for a bit of support and advice and I don't think my question was out of order. Normal dimensions are Length x Width x Height. So the suggested padstone size sounds like it's 215 wide. Placing a 215 wide padstone on a single skin wall means I'll have 55 sticking out either side which doesn't sound correct to me. Then again the 3 dimensions for the RSJ are Height x Width x Weight per metre so there doesn't appear to be any consistency does there? So I asked the question. Sorry not to already know all the answers but isn't that kind of what a forum is all about?

Deleted my posts to avoid any more confusion in your simple brain, please accept my apologies for spending my own free time helping someone. ;)

I'll try not to be too helpful, else I might get a smiley for my efforts! :rolleyes:

The padstone will be flush with the existing brick (102mm as standard). The function of the padstone is to spread the load down and out onto a longer length of the brickwork, without having any mortar joints to get in the way. It may look odd, but it will basically be a very long tall block in the wall. Imagine you're looking along the new beam at the supporting wall - you'll be seeing the largest face of the padstone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back