Removing a internal wall - what materials / tools needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am removing a wall (it runs paralel with beams, and has supports a wall above it) my uncle is arranging it - but i want to just double check if we have all the key tools and material.

Please advise if anything is Missing.

• Acros.
  • Some timber for acro support timber accross acro.
  • 4 planks for acro support.
  • a RSJ.
  • Padstone.
  • Mixture for cement render.
  • SDS Drill.
  • Chisel.
  • Lump Hammer.

Also i been told by my uncle to do the following.
  • find width of wall by drilling it - must exclude plaster and add 100mm
  • locate the blocks where the RSJ would sit by removing some plaster.

Let me know if i am missing anything.

Sponsored Links
Hard hats, goggles and other safety equipment

Means to safely terminate any cables in the wall.

Have you employed a structural engineer calculate the size of the RSJ ? Does the upstairs wall support the roof ?

Will the ""blocks where the RSJ would sit"" and the brick / block work underneath them be able to support the weight that the RSJ will be carrying.

ok the wall above there is a loft. and there is no wall above it in loft.

the width of the wall where we are creating a opening. is 3.46 - we want to install a folding door - and online it seems the folding doors are 3 meteres. wide. which would leave is 23cm each side.

do we chisel the wall to exactly the door size? or do we leave a bit of room for frame? whats the rule of thumb here?

Sponsored Links

There won't be a wall in the loft, the weight is being transferred through the wall that you're looking to remove into the ground below. Is there anything below the wall which you're looking to remove?

the width of the wall where we are creating a opening. is 3.46 - we want to install a folding door - and online it seems the folding doors are 3 meteres. wide. which would leave is 23cm each side.

Your RSJ will need to sit on 4" - 6" of pad stone and so that should give you enough space. You may need to build a column to strengthen the wall on which you're placing the pad stone if it's a single skin wall. Speak to a Structural Engineer for this - he/she will be able to advise.

do we chisel the wall to exactly the door size? or do we leave a bit of room for frame? whats the rule of thumb here?

I'd open it out more than you need to and then fill in any gaps around the door with a stud wall.

Last edited:

There won't be a wall in the loft, the weight is being transferred through the wall that you're looking to remove into the ground below. Is there anything below the wall which you're looking to remove?

Your RSJ will need to sit on 4" - 6" of pad stone and so that should give you enough space. You may need to build a column to strengthen the wall on which you're placing the pad stone if it's a single skin wall. Speak to a Structural Engineer for this - he/she will be able to advise.

I'd open it out more than you need to and then fill in any gaps around the door with a stud wall.

To end a quote, use
Code:
[/QUOTE]
not
Code:
[QUOTE]
You can go back and edit it.

tumblr_m35r353WX91r6lukso1_250.gif

Please also make sure that you have spoken to a Structural Engineer about this work before you begin. You shouldn't just buy an RSJ off the shelf and use it (unless you know what you're doing) or even google the correct size. This exactly what a SE does, please consult one. You risk the entire house collapsing if you use the wrong RSJ and that honestly isn't an exaggeration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back