Any tips before I lay large area of engineered flooring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Ive done quite a few laminate flooring jobs and theyve all been successful.

Now im about to lay about 45sqm of 18(4) engineered flooring throughout my downstairs (part new extension). The floor is new screed and old quarry tile that has a new damp proof membrane already fitted.

The total area is an open plan 'L' shape that includes a lounge and kitchen/diner. I plan to run the boards against the 'L' shape not lengthways to reduce lengthg of runs.

I plan to glue all boards on all sides, all skirting is removed so I can hide ends without mouldings.

My main concern are the area's under the kitchen units. Rather than waste flooring under the units I want to leave this area un-floored.
Due to the total size of the floor could this cause an expansion problem as there will be a reasonable size of 'void' that the flooring could expand into?

Could I fill this space with plywood or similar and what underlay do you recommend? I am looking for a floor without the 'tap' noise I get from laminate.

Any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
The only real way to avoid the 'tap noise' is to fix the floor to the subfloor by secret nailing to ply or glueing directly onto the subfloor. It's the floating installation as much as the product that causes the 'tap noise'.

If you prefer to float the floor then use a really good underlay like timbermate or qood quality fibreboard underlay, this will reduce but not eliminate the tap noise.

If you decide to glue to the subfloor be 100% sure that the subfloor has no residual moisture in it and ensure the floor is a) Suitable for direct fixing to the subfloor and b) acclimatised properly prior to starting fitting

You will be fine finishing the floor under the front of the units, no need to do anything other than finishing it neatly behind where the kick boards will finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back