45m2 large area to laminate floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

As per other recent posts, I recently had a flood. We have decided to lay laminate flooring in the through lounge and hall way. I plan to separate the hallway and lounges and treat as two separate jobs, however the through lounge is still 45m2 approx. I've laid quite a bit of flooring in the past but mainly bedrooms or friends smaller lounge, I've never tackled an area as large as this one.

There is currently floor boards down which are in fairly good condition and flat. I plan to run the laminate the length of the room to try to give a longer feel and "join" the two rooms more into one.

Generally I'm thinking (other then nerves) that if i have laid flooring before i should be fine, it's just a bigger area which will take longer. I am thinking i need to be particularly strict on the gaps i leave round the edge and around fittings to allow for expansion, particularly due to the large size.

Is there anything else i need to think about when scaling up to a larger job when it comes to laminate flooring?

Any advice much appreciated!

Many thanks

Ste

Sponsored Links
Check the spec of the laminate itself, 45m2 is outside the recommendations of some suppliers product without recommended expansion allowed accross the room by T-Profile expansion strips.

Otherwise the usual principles apply, follow the instructions/guidence on expansion gaps.

has all the moisture dried from the flood!!
you dont want to lay on damp as it will cause problems for months to come especialy on a large area

Hi

Thanks for replies. Yes its fully dried, had dryers and dehumidifiers in for over 14 days, been at least a month since then also. Got a "dry Certificate", which is now framed and positioned along side my 25m Swimming Certificate in the garage.... oh how my parents would be proud if they hadn't have had me adopted... its their loss!

Anyhow, back to the floor... sounds like good advice, ill take a look at the instructions regarding expansion gaps... never fitted a T profile before but assuming its fairly easy. Do these things sit flush or likely to be kicked if in high traffic areas?

cheers

Ste

Sponsored Links
Don't use the fiberboards! If anything it can make your floor bounce all over the place, specially thin laminate.

If your existing floorboards are level you can use 3mm standard foam underlayment (without DPM).

Question: do you plan to install the laminate boards in the same direction as your existing floorboards? If so, overboard first with either plywood or hardboard to prevent any uneveness of the existing floorboards (and draft through any possible gaps between the floorboards) effecting your new floor.

Hi mate. The easy option would be to run the same direction as floor board however I'll be going to opposite direction as will look better and also as you say stop any issues etc

Just got decent deal in floors to go, sale on plus another 20% off, not sure if this is one of those stores that always have a 'sale' on, but saved good few hundred on b&q prices for a nicer floor. Could have went even cheaper again in wicks, same colour (antique oak) but didn't have the bevel, I think the bevel breaks it up a bit on such a large area.

Anyway... Back to the flooring. Got my 3mm foam underlay, got 22 boxes of flooring, three doorway runners and one 2m expansion strip... All i need now is a Fridge pack of beer and a ghetto blaster and I'm good to go!!!

Thanks for help... I'll keep you posted!

Ste

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back