Please help! Where to start laying laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

Beginning to lay a laminate floor in an open plan kitchen/dining room but I'm unsure on where to lay the first row.

I have a attached a picture the blue section is where I'm laying the floor and the red is kitchen units that I'm not moving, i will be laying the floor approx halfway under.

thank you

Attachments

• floor copy.jpg
    floor copy.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 219
Sponsored Links
Assuming you are laying it towards the red units from the doorway, I’m no expert but I’d measure carefully so that you don’t end up with a 5mm strip along any of the edges and start from the left hand side (as you look at the picture).

Will the plank lengths be parallel to, or at right angles to the line of kitchen units ?

Sponsored Links
Centre the entrance as you walk in. What software is that you used for the drawing ? Looks great that.

take a few measurements , as mentioned you dont want a thinstrip to cut - place one down the hall towards the kitchen
then check the planks needed and cut size on that chimney breast type arrangement - that should then set the center ish plank
Now with piec eof wood marked exactly to size - go across the kitchen and see where the return back will be - again so there are no silly strips there.

I recently did a complete ground floor whch then returned on itself in the hall way - so a continous walk way down the hall into the lounge/dining room back up to kitchen and then across and rejoined the hall.

A lot of measuring and bits of wood and we managed a perfect fit, on the return, and no silly joins on door thresholds
all the skirting came up so the boards finished under the skirting and in kitchen under the plinths.

It took a few hours measuring and chalk lines to get right - but worth it in the end

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back