Laminate Floor in Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of fitting a new kitchen and will be laying laminate floor.

I intend to lay the laminate after the units are fitted, and lay it up to the legs on the units and then fit the plinths afterwards (in case the flooring needs to come up in future due to a leak etc.) and also intend to lay flooring under the freestanding appliances so they're easy enough to slide in and out.

Due to this is it a good idea to make the kitchen units 14mm higher (6mm fibreboard underlay + 8mm laminate) than normal to make sure the plinth can be fitted afterwards without trimming, and also make sure the appliances aren't too close to the worktop above?

If I do this it will also mean the support end panels (which attach to the cabinets afterwards, they don't replace the actual side panel of the cupboard) should be the right height to simply fit after the laminate is laid, and should be the right size from laminate to worktop?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have thought things through properly. The really critical height i work top height appliances. In my experience, it's not normally too much of an issue to fit laminate into kitchens although we do get the odd worktop issue every now and again, so a 'standard height' probably has enough room for a floor like laminate.

Given my appliances are 850mm high, would you fit the cabinets to the standard 870mm or to 885mm? My concern is that after I've fitted underlay and laminate at say 15mm that only leaves 5mm above the appliances?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back