Is it ok to not 'stagger' laminate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will be laying laminate 'aqua loc' flooring in the kitchen soon..ish and was wondering if it is ok to lay it without staggering it.

I have a galley kitchen and the single length of laminate would run under the units with the plinth over the top.

To me it would be an easy run with no cutting,well maybe a bit for the legs,so just wanted some confirmation that they would be ok to run in a long line.

Just to note that the flooring is running at 90 degrees to the units and all appliances are built in.

Sponsored Links
Sounds good to me, less joints= less to go wrong. :LOL: but i'm no expert on lam flooring but someone will get to you soon. :LOL: ;)

I would definatelt say no. If you run all your joints along the same line there is the oppurtunity for the flooring to lift at that point as the joint has not been locked together with the other boards to each side.

trying to understant this one ;)

if your saying the floor is less than one full visible plank wide and you want to throw the small bit away and start with a new plank then yes

if its more than 1 plank length then you need to stagger the joints and keep the overlap at least 12" [300mm]

Sponsored Links
Exactly Mifty12, not staggering will make the floor unstable in an area that is longer than the lenghts of the planks.
If the area is shorter than the lenghts there is no harm done.

If I read this right then the joint will be hidden away under the kitchen floor units. Wouldn't it be ok to just fix a timber batten across the top of the join and screw it down? Obviously any change of kitchen layout could mean replacing the lot though.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Here's a pic of what I intended to do.Can put up some more if needed.

fffffjpgnt1.jpg
[/URL]

Is that all the area you're planning to install wood on, or is the area at the top of the picture also going to be 'floored'?
The way you plan the direction of the boards will make the kitchen look strange IMHO. We normally go with the side of the cupboards i.e. turn your board 90 degree

totally agree woodyoulike, i'd run the boards along the same line as the units otherwise it might make the flooring and the room look short and squat.

Thanks all.
Would have replied earlier but been a bit busy doing another room.Totally agree with short and squat.Was just a case of saving on flooring and cutting.What is it in laminate that makes everything go blunt so quick anyway?

The pic is of a full plank running under the units.However it will now be runnig with the same way of the units as opposed to the original 90 degree format.

Is that all the area you're planning to install wood on, or is the area at the top of the picture also going to be 'floored'?

Yup and I would have staggered that bit to suit.

Thanks for all the inputs everyone..

/goes for a new saw lol

woods
is right , its the same when tiling go length ways to add the look of width to a room

I like that oak effect Aqualoc, I've just put similar in my bathrooms!

Wheres the window? Shouldn't where the light is coming from be taken into account? In my bathrooms I've run the boards in the same direction as the light.

JamesA, you're right in areas where there is a significant amount of light coming in and where installing differently (i.e. not 'with the light') might cause fals shades.
In areas with tiny windows or frosted glass it's best to go the most aesthetic way: paralel with the longst wall.

When it's done...tiling,cornicing and pelmets et all....I will put up a thread in 'Your Projects'

JamesA

Wheres the window? Shouldn't where the light is coming from be taken into account? In my bathrooms I've run the boards in the same direction as the light.

The window isn't very big and is on the right hand side of the pic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back