Parquet flooring lifted under laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,have had a laminate floor installed over parquet for a couple of years. Have noticed tenting in a couple of planks right by a plinth in the kitchen after a water leak. I have removed the plinth and the parquet has lifted and the under lay is soaked! Insurance claim?

I have read it is not advisable to lay laminate over parquet? This is the first issue in a few years?

Sponsored Links
you can try your insurance company but as you said you tried a method off installation that wasn't recommended
some insurance companies wont want to repair a bodge job but may fix the damage caused by a leak and not the cause
best you can do is ask and be honest
what comments where made by the installer ??
where they professionals ??

Thanks, if the insurance pays out for a new floor, what would you recommend to put over the parquet. I really don't want to go down the road of tearing it all up!

Sponsored Links
...what would you recommend to put over the parquet.
As parquet is meant to be the finished floor the most obvious answer is nothing! TBH when overlaying parquet you need to cover it with a layer of 6mm plywood fixed down generously with flooring tacks (i.e something like 150mm centres) and then screeded over so that the tack heads don't telegraph through. After that vinyl (roll, planked, etc), traditional linoleum or carpet (tile or roll) can all be fitted. If water ingress is a potential issue all the joints in something like a vinyl floor will need to be welded and the edges thoroughly sealed all round the room

Putting plywood over a parquet floor is one of the worst things you can do if on a ground floor.
Most parquet floors don’t have a damp roof membrane underneath them so they need to breathe.

ok could be very wrong here:D
old parquet tends to be laid with tar based adhesive that will be fully water repellent so would assume very well sealed ???
of course i could be very wrong but have not in general found damp transfer to be an issue but dont do many parquet floors

Yes the adhesive held back moisture as it has asbestos in it. But it’s not a dpm.
Mainly depends on the water table of each house.
Back when I worked for cowboy company we laid over some. Some got away with it and others didn’t.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back