Parquet Floor Lifting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Been trawling the site for information and have come close but still haven’t found what I’m looking for.

My laminate floor had lifted in the living room, area around .5m x 3m, noticeable bump in the centre of the floor. Took all the beading off around the edge and checked for pinch points, none present.
Took up the laminate to see what the cause of the ‘bump’ was. When getting to the centre I found that the laminate had been laid on the old parquet flooring (40 years old). The parquet had actually lifted the laminate, the parquet was the little square type and came up easily. It had been laid on a bitumen base. Only the section of the parquet (when the laminate was lifted) had come away, the parquet around it was fine and still firmly fixed.

Things to note, when we first moved in 6 months ago, the laminate floor was noticeably not level in areas around the edge i.e. when putting the sofa down it would not sit flat, over time it seems to right itself.

Where the patio doors have been fitted they have ripped the old ones out and they seem to have broken the link from the living room floor to the outside of the house, thus breaking the DPC join (could be nothing).

We have two large radiators in the lounge, not to sure where the pipes run to get to them BUT I turned up the pressure on the combi boiler to 1bar as it was on 0 and also increased the dial to 7, previously on 4 . Week later the floor lifted, could be linked but not too sure.

Rally not too sure what to do, do I take up the rest of the laminate up to check the rest of the parquet or put back the laminate and hope that it goes away. Only thing is if I relay it could the parquet lift elsewhere! View media item 52804 View media item 52805

Sponsored Links
Hi,

The correct way of remedying this problem would be to uplift the laminate carefully, take up the parquet, grind off the bitumen, re screed the floor with a self levelling compound and then lay an underlay with a damp proof membrane attached.

The incorrect way (but easiest and will probably work)again uplift the laminate carefully, lift any parquet that is loose and pour some deep fill screed into the holes that are left.

Use an underlay with a built in DPM and then re lay the laminate.
Where there are hot spots from pipes under the floor you will need to leave a good expansion in these areas.

What has happened here is that the plastic base of the laminate floor has stopped the normal ventilation of the moist in the concrete etc. This has blown the parquet - which can only "hold" so much moist before it looses its grip.

If you remove the laminate and give the original floor time to "dry" it will stop blowing up. Then you should not relay the laminate - the plastic base will prevent the normal ventilation again - but select a decent wood-engineered floor and make sure the underlayment you use does not have a DPM in it.

Thanks for the responses, greatly appreciated.

All a bit annoying as the laminate had been laid by the previous owners!

Could the parquet have lifted if there was a leaky pipe in the room, or if the patio door breaking the DPC has let in moisture in? Just looking at other possibillities as if it is a moisture build up it will be expensive.

If I do have to take up the laminate and parquet I was planning to relay the floor with the arlex screed and then cut my losses with carpet.

Shame really as the laminate and parquet is in really good condition. I am taking the laminate up in the other corner where the radiator is to see if it is leaking.

We have a surveyor coming round this week to assess the possibitlites so we will see what he says.

Thanks again for the advice.

Sponsored Links
It happens quite often the wrong care/products are installed over an existing parquet floor unfortunately.
It's a rule of thumb never to close down a parquet floor with anything that does not allow the "underfloor" to breath - shame really.

If the parquet floor has to be removed - I think it has now gone beyond "repair" - and you carefully lift the laminate, you could re-install this after you've sorted the underfloor: getting rid of the parquet, bitumen and making good any damages to the concrete floor.

Bitumen will react on too much moist, be it by covering up the "subfloor" of parquet, leaks etc.

Thanks WoodYouLike.

Could I install carpet over the parquet?

We have re-decorated the lounge so any works to the floor will probably ruin all the work I have done, namely expensive wallpaper!

the problem could have arisen from a break in the DPC or a leaking pipe. But that would need further investigation. A damp test metre should be able to give you a good indication if there is excessive moisture in the subfloor.

If you uplift all the materials, and lay Ardex screed, then it might be worthwhile to put on a 2 coat DPM before you apply the screed.

You can check with Ardex which DPMs are compatible. In the past, we have used Tremco DPM

Thanks WoodYouLike.

Could I install carpet over the parquet?

We have re-decorated the lounge so any works to the floor will probably ruin all the work I have done, namely expensive wallpaper!
Only if the carpet underlayment is a breathable type. We've seen a parquet floor - in excellent condition and installed with modern parquet adhesive - being absolutely ruined by installing the wrong type (one that contained a DPM) of carpet underlayment. As if carpet fitters are not being told by the manufacturer of these underlayments when and where NOT to use them.

Just an update, taken up all the laminate and exposed a pretty nice parquet floor.

The parquet is pretty dirty, covered in bits of paint and has a bit of mould on it in places.

Still has a big hole in the centre which I will have to pay someone to hopefully replace but if we can sort it we will keep it.

Fingers crossed we can fix it and it won't cost the earth!

I have 2 similar properties about 10 years ago in property 1 i laid laminate flooring on top of old parquet flooring which was ontop of a concrete subtrate i have had no problems and the laminate is still as good as new about a year ago i did the same in property 2 same flooring susstrat everything however this time within 5 months the parquet has buckled up popping out and buckling the laminate.... the parquet is moldy and wet and very smelly why can the two properties react so differently help someone please?????? :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back