Parquet Flooring buckled after leak now a musty smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - bit of advice needed. I had a leak from an upstairs radiator and alot of water came down the wall. Obviosly it got under the laminate flooring and the parquet underneath. I didnt consider it at the time because I was too busy to even think it would cause a problem! Serveral months later the parquet buckled - I assume the water got as far as the concrete sub floor and had nowhere to go but into the wood. So I lifted the laminate and took a row of the parquet out. This is not a problem - I have had a plywood insert made to go in its place before putting a new laminate down. But the smell!! The smell is hoorendous - couldnt smell it at all until the laminate was lifted. How can I get rid of the smell? It has been drying out (windows open full during the day, on the latch at night for a full week) slight improvement but the wood is still stained in some of the joints but I can see the parquet shrinking down so i am guessing most of the moisture has now gone. Just need to get rid of the smell - which I assume is being caused by the bitumen...I dont want to lift the whole floor if I can avoid it lol

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I did think about a claim at the time but the water only leaked until I drained the system - 15 mins max so there wasn't that much water and what there was dried out pretty quickly. I just never even considered the floor at the time as I was doing so much. Have lifted a small 3 inch section of the floor full length and it seems to be drying out pretty quick now. I think the smell has either improved or I'm just used to it now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back