Any tips on replacing my tiled shed roof with felt?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
My 6m x 2.3m tiled shed has an old roof that has leaked for years (the cheap felt membrane is shot and the tiles are probably far too heavy for purpose).
My aim is to make the roof watertight against the elements.

After looking online, my plan is to remove existing tiles, battening and old felt membrane ... and to board the roof using 18mm OSB3 boards, and then cover with 15 year IKO super roof felt joined with IKO Pro roof felt adhesive.

Keen to understand from people with a lot more experience than me if this is a good value and viable practical solution ... or if there are any preferred alternative materials, methods, etc

Also any challenges / pitfalls to be wary of?

All suggestions / comments welcome.

Many thanks in advance, genuinely appreciate your input, All the best - Pat

PS. I have just uploaded a few pics of the current shed roof into a media folder on here called Existing Shed Roof (not sure how to link to it?)

View media item 105252

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
AN observation I have is the use of adhesive - I recently had to re-felt my 10x12 shed which was delivered and installed by a company about 5 yrs ago. They had used felt adhesive and it was pain to get off. They had stuck it down to the boarded roof and i had to hand scrape quitea large area to clear the roof for the new felt. It took hours. I used clout nails for the new felt.
The original felt had been ripped by wind and sun but that's another story !

Thank you Dal5band

So only use the felt adhesive where you join / overlay the next strip of felt, and instead pin the felt only on the edges using the clout nails?

Portsmouth by any chance?
I've seen a few of them in my home town that's all...

Sponsored Links
Are you dead set on a felt roof? Pop in to Colemans (sig) it's copnor road have a look at sheet metal. You may need to fit horizontal noggins to fix but you may get away with just the rafters. Fun to do and has a long life

Cheers, appreciated. Good to get a different take on things....Will have a think about it

The tiles look in pretty good nick. Is it laid at too shallow a pitch or too little headlamp?

The tiles are fine but the felt that is under them is shot, so it leaks in bad weather.
I have also been told that whoever did it originally did it at the wrong pitch.
Anyhow, after a few quotes to felt it - ranging from £800 plus skip upto £1350 - I’ve decided to do it myself !

I feel its ‘relatively’ straight forward ... and for a few hundred quid to re-board properly sure up I felt it will certainly be more watertight in the bad weather than it is now

The main hassle will be the removal and disposal of the heavyweight tiles

cheers,

The felt shouldn't really be part of the equation until a tile fails, but as you say, wrong pitch. Have it considered jacking up the roof to raise the pitch? Whether that's practical will depend how it was all constructed.

The felt shouldn't really be part of the equation until a tile fails, but as you say, wrong pitch. Have it considered jacking up the roof to raise the pitch? Whether that's practical will depend how it was all constructed.

Agreed - but for me thats not really practical (as im more of a chippy than a brickie) and thus I dont really want to get into removing the beams and then bricking up the back wall and sides to get the right pitch.

The beams look in decent nick ... hence my plan to remove tiles, board the existing beams with OSB3 and then felt cover with the 15 year stuff. Cheers

I dont really want to get into removing the beams and then bricking up the back wall and sides to get the right pitch.

I was thinking in terms of not removing any element of the roof at all, but jack up the rear of the roof with acros, then add a row of blocks (or some equivalent wooden structure that can be clad later) to give you more pitch. I can't tell from the photo if the shed is rendered all round and how easy it'd be to make good the gaps created.

Couldn't you make a wooden "hat" after removing the old roof?
I mean a horizontal band of wood that raises the roof by 12" secured to the original brick, and if the ridge is central (?) a timber clad triangle at each end?

Another option could be to put firlings in to raise the pitch then put original roof back on with new felt and batten if necesary.

Noticed you said about brickwork after raising. Use facia to cover after raising roof.

Last edited:
I’m going the keep the same pitch roof, use existing roof beams (having removed all old tiles and membrane) then cover and box off with OSB3 boards before covering with 15 year felt (bonded at overlaying joints)

Thanks for all your help and assistance gents - truly appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back