any tips on stopping water leaking through tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm totally new to this so thanks in advance and any help gratefully received.

Bought a flat earlier this year with what appeared to be a lovely sparkly new bathroom, but we have leaky tile-related problem which is not helping us make friends with our lovely neighbour downstairs! The bath isn't flush to the wall - there's about 2 inches of tiling down the side, which is not level with the line of the bath. Sealant around the bath seems fine, not loose, but unless we pack a towel down the side, the water collects and flows to the back of the bath where the grouting has started to crack and leak through to the floor below.

Firstly - should I just regrout the tiles at the back of the bath (there's about 12 inches of tiling to the back) or is there something I could do to make the tiles more water-resistant and help stop the leak through.

And secondly, is it worth trying to get some sort of a splash tray to channel the water from showers back into the bath? Or is it towels for ever?

As I say, I'm a total novice so any help gratefully received.

Cheers,

NoRest11 :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hi

I'm totally new to this so thanks in advance and any help gratefully received.

Bought a flat earlier this year with what appeared to be a lovely sparkly new bathroom, but we have leaky tile-related problem which is not helping us make friends with our lovely neighbour downstairs! The bath isn't flush to the wall - there's about 2 inches of tiling down the side, which is not level with the line of the bath. Sealant around the bath seems fine, not loose, but unless we pack a towel down the side, the water collects and flows to the back of the bath where the grouting has started to crack and leak through to the floor below.

Firstly - should I just regrout the tiles at the back of the bath (there's about 12 inches of tiling to the back) or is there something I could do to make the tiles more water-resistant and help stop the leak through.

And secondly, is it worth trying to get some sort of a splash tray to channel the water from showers back into the bath? Or is it towels for ever?

As I say, I'm a total novice so any help gratefully received.

Cheers,

NoRest11 :LOL:

get the bath levelled, sounds like it isnt very much so. then reseal the silicone around the sides

you could use towels forever or when the bath is levelled buy an epoxy grout and use that. you will need to remove all the grout in the tiles that you need to replce first! dont just grout over.

do you mean there is a tiled ledge at the side of the bath?

photos would help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back