any tips on tyrolean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive just finished a rendering and tyrolean job but struggled a bit with putting the tyrolean on. i bought a gun from screwfix for 26 quid which leaked like a sieve, is this normal or do i have a crap gun. also how runny should the mix be? i had it fairly liquidy, more than a runny mix of plaster, is this right?

i've asked quite a lot of questions on this forum since recently becoming a member, thanks to everyone thats helped me out and sorry to be a pain.

cheers

Sponsored Links
If you put too much tyrolean mix in the machine Tom, it will leak out through the handle, so keep the level just below the handle aperture. With the mix itself, it needs to be pourable,, but not watery,, say, like a creamy, slightly runny soup. Follow the instructions/ratios on the bag would be the best advice. Once you have mixed it up and are using it, you must keep stiring it regularly in the bucket, because the mix will settle, and also shake the machine occasionaly,,, again, to agitate the mix within the gun itself. That might be part of the reason why you struggled. If the cullamix settles to the bottom of the machine, it is only coloured water you're flicking on. Don't make up too much at a time either. So the advice is,, not too watery,, keep stirring it regularly,,, don't spray it on too thick or it will run, build each coat up slowly,, allowing each coat to steady up/dry in a little. This is one job where good suction on the wall render is a definite bonus, the more the suction, the easier the build up of the tyrolean texture itself, and one more thing, always tyrolean onto a dry surface.

Roughcaster.

When tyroleaning (Not that I have done any for a while) there were 3 basic applications we used...

Turn the handle of the machine so that the material is sprayed straight at the wall. Keep the machine moving.
Spray a second coat of material on to the wall at an angle of 45 degrees from the left.
Spray a third coat of material on to the wall at an angle of 45 degrees from the right.
No background should be seen when the finish is completed...

Dont stay in one place too long , dont come back over the sprayed surface too soon,and dont have your mix too sloppy, I think we used to mix our own at 1 cement,6 sand with plasticiser in the mix...
or I think it was 5 Cullamix to 2 parts water....

Hope this helps.... ;)

Sponsored Links
i bought a gun from screwfix for 26 quid which leaked like a sieve, is this normal or do i have a crap gun.

Hi,i've seen these cheapy guns (like a biscuit tin with a handle!)......crap! look up the tyrol company in rainham essex, they make the plastic moulded guns for around £50, far superior,and they are currently working on a cordless powered version using makita workings? when i was last ikn there. Good luck, Micky

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back