any tips on using an electric diamond wheel cutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a basic B&Q electric cutter, the scoring type cutter I usually use would not cut the thicker 10x10 kitchen tiles I bought. The instructions said to use a light pressure to push tiles through but I found that half way through the tile it became very tight and I had to use more pressure or it would not move, the result was that every tile broke off at the last 5mm either chipping into the tile or breaking the other way and leaving a 5mm triangle sticking out which then chipped when I tried to nibble it off. Eventually completed the job using the least damaged tiles which look fine when grouted.

Any suggestions where I went wrong so I can avoid tearing the rest of my hair out when I do my bathroom next.

Sponsored Links
if you are using a guide on the cutter, maybe it was not perfectly straight.

the only thing you can do with a cheap cutter is to treat like a little old lady, use it very gently and very slowly.

for about £40 you can buy a half decent cutter for a usual diyer, plasplugs are pretty good for your needs.

minischnauzer

You are getting those nobbles at the end due to unequal pressure on one side of the cut as you push it through the wheel.

Try pushing it gently through with a couple of fingers either side of the cutting mark.

If cheap tools worked properly, professionals would use them. If you use cheap tools you usually get poor results.

Sponsored Links
I presume you were using water as it keeps the dust down but also acts as a lube.

Don't worry Janz. You are certainly not the first and will not be the last.
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back