Any way to move a 1 tonne bag of sand

Definitely trying very hard for Darwin award there!

Have seen builders on youtube getting the crane operator to hold it in the air above where they want it, then rip the bottom out with a saw. Seems a bit dodgy, would think some drivers would refuse to take part in this. But totally get the advantage of a heap over a bag, they're a pain to shovel out of. I usually cut the corners and open them out flat, less annoyance and backache but still get in the way.

Sponsored Links
Must have been out in the UV for a long time, or acquired some damage; those bags can take a ridiculous amount of punishment before falling apart

These days I'd just get my forklift out and move it. In the old days, if I'd been so remiss as to not have the builder's lorry drop the bag onto a pallet I would have got out a couple of sections of that nasty green H shaped slot together scaffold, and my block and tackle, and lifted the bag up so I could slide a pallet under it and use the pallet truck.

In the really old days before I owned a pallet truck I had the patience to move them a short way using an A frame and chain

I actually managed to use a pallet truck for the bulk bag delivery.

The previous crane operator was so clever and unloaded it directly where I wanted avoiding the telephone wire running across the street. But I assumed that everyone wouldn't be that clever. Therefore, I got a pallet truck for the next delivery.

The sand bulk bag was unloaded onto a pallet laid by the street and then moved into the property without incident. Our driveway is still a tar/asphalt-based old one, therefore, at some points, the pallet even hit the ground. But it wasn't a problem and the sand bulk bag remained unbroken and steady.

And you’ve been around long enough to form an opinion, I have a number of likes to my posts how many have you got?

You are on ignore so prattle away to your hearts content.

You are a funny man; so, I'll like your posts myself if "likes" are what matters more than actually being helpful. (Nevertheless, note that I joined this forum on 10 Oct 2023 if you want to judge someone by the number of "Likes" on their posts). ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back