Anybody come across toe/heel problem with stair carpets ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a stairs in a 1920's house, which has a relatively narrow tread. No different to any other house of that era.

We had a stair carpet supplied and fitted professionally 9 months ago, and the area where you toe would hit the riser. We are getting tufts of the pile coming off. The supplier is saying its nothing to do with them as its a 'local problem', and the manufacturers will say the same. It not the cheapest, or mid range, but the dearest carpet.

toe-heel1.jpg

So much so the first riser now has a bald area. All the the risers are having the same problem to a lesser extent.

It seems the tufts are not wooven but stuck to the backing. The glue? seems to be very brittle. It maybe they are not glued but are heated to bond with the backing.

I know its a DIY forum, but I hazard a guess that I will have to do something about, to rectify the problem. Any ideas or thoughts please.

I am not happy about getting it relaid with the same, as I assume it will have the same problem.

Sponsored Links
When the underlay was laid was it fitted correctly gripper to gripper so on tread and riser

Attachments

• 80D78557-A506-483F-AE09-C53323D0EE49.jpeg
    80D78557-A506-483F-AE09-C53323D0EE49.jpeg
    249.4 KB · Views: 145
Was underlay fitted? If its worn after 9 months of domestic use its not fit for purpose.

Blup

When the underlay was laid was it fitted correctly gripper to gripper so on tread and riser

It is my belief that the that yes underlay was fitted gripper to gripper on tread and riser.

Sponsored Links
A few new images. The 1st shows the main hole getting bigger.

toe-heel2.jpg

The below image shows the tufts coming out. There is nothing at the base of the tuft.

toe-heel3.jpg

Apologies for the dog hair on the below image, as its moulting season.

The below image shows a small piece of left over carpet. The only way to get the tufts out is to yank on the the horizontal retaining thread. The thread come off easily. Then each tuft can be slightly pulled. The tuft then comes away from the backing quite easily. Note the red arrow, shows either glue or melted plastic at the base of each tuft. This 'glue' is missing on the the hole photos above.

toe-heel5.jpg

Last edited:
We had a stair carpet supplied and fitted professionally 9 months ago, and the area where you toe would hit the riser. We are getting tufts of the pile coming off. The supplier is saying its nothing to do with them as its a 'local problem', and the manufacturers will say the same. It not the cheapest, or mid range, but the dearest carpet.

You perhaps thought or were led to believe you had bought an expensive carpet, but that looks like just a basic quality carpet. None-the-less, that should not happen, certainly not after such a short time of domestic us. I would write a formal letter to the supplier, inviting them to resolve the issue entirely at their expense and giving them 14 days to respond, if they fail to respond you should be making a claim in the small claims court, to recover the cost.

If it was supplied and fitted the fitter is liable, if you bought the carpet, the shop/ supplier is resposible. Could be a mix of both if one blames the other e.g incorrect fitting.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back