anybody ever used rated people?

Sponsored Links
I'd say use the search Tommy! It's been discussed a lot on here.

It's actually fascinating to see the enormous range of opinions on all the "trade finding" companies and the similar "vetting" ones (like checkatrade) and also the supposed "weed out the cowboy" schemes (trustmark).

I saw a post slagging one or other a few days ago and since then I've been whiling away teabreaks doing searches for one or other names to see the fur flying. There are definitely a lot of people that aren't what I'd call fans of what seem to be being called "parasites".

I'm actually interested in this (partly from a professional point of view and partly from a punter point of view) in that, from a non-cynical position it appears to be a good idea to have a system to post a job, get quotes and then the trader pays a small amount when he gets that work... however I can also see from reading through here that the system seems wide open to abuse and has a whole lot of issues with it.

Is there any way to solve the problem? Could any site/scheme exist that would tick all your boxes? how would it be possible to weed out the cowboys? The trustmark scheme claims to do that but obviously doesn't... is the only way to have every single job checked (or random job checking) by some independent organisation? If so, who decides who is competent to run such an organisation? If you did a job and an inspector said it was no good and you disagreed, how would you expect to resolve that?

The problem is that several people (myself included) would probably not know the difference between a proper good job and one that appeared to be good but was only superficially so and would fail within a few years. There is, quite simply, no way of testing that kind of thing without vast experience in the trade... and if you're that good, surely you'd be trading and not inspecting other people's work?

There's a whole lot of contradiction going on in these threads badmouthing the "find a trader" sites as far as I can see - most people want regulation and to weed out cowboys but don't seem to be able to agree on how this can even be achieved.

I think this one will run and run... it's entertaining reading anyway. :D

im more interested in wether this is any good for the tradesmen and wether this site will actually genuinley generate work before i spunk my hard earned cash on it

Sponsored Links
tommy, if it seems to good to be true it normally is, there are loads of posts here saying it is not brill. I wonder if half the stuff on there is fabricated anyway, i am fairly sure from some limited research that most of the feedback is biased, if the contractors get negative feedback then the hosting site wont get any money from them as they wont pick up any more work. There are better ways to advertise your business I am sure.

waste of time although i did get one job your paying between £4-25 i did renew for 3 months but will cancel before renewals next due.Try it free for first 3 months and first quote may suit depends how many 20 quids you have to spare.

I would join immediately if Rated People also meant: Rate Customers :evil: :evil:

i was just thinking of using it for small jobs just to fill in when i have the odd day or 2 spare before i start other jobs

I have used Rated trades and have had some good jobs from it .. I have also had rubbish leads where customers have no conception of what is involved in certain jobs and want it done for £50 or so. Having said that even from other forms of advertising there are pitfalls. you still have to put up money up front and take the chance whether or not you will get genuine leads . Always the best way is word of mouth and recommends from existing clients, however if you are just starting out this is difficult as you do not have a customer base.
I would say that if you are willing to invest some of your hard earned on a prospect like Rated Trades then give it a go. At least you can choose which customers you pay for unlike press ads where you have to take what comes along and hope to god that you get some sense. I have seen some of these sites that promise there are only 3 trades given the lead to quote on and then find out that there are way more, for the obvious reason that at 20 quid a lead they are gonna sell it to 10 rather than 3.

Sponsored Links
Back