Anybody know what these vents (?) on the roof are for?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have bought a new house, I don't get the keys for another few weeks though so haven't moved in. I'm just wondering what these vents (I assume they are vents) on the roof are for. It is a terraced house but none of the other houses in the row have them. Also, the home report mentioned some staining and condensation in the loft so I'm wondering if they are anything to do with that.
Thanks for any help 20160320_133205.jpg

Sponsored Links
The vents let air into the loft to help prevent condensation.

Ideally you would have vents higher up also to let air out.

They may have been fitted when and if the loft was insulated ie switched from a warm to a cold roof. I take it there is not a loft room?

Not an expert but I had to do similar works in my house.

Did your survey mention that the fascia needs attention and ridge tiles need repointed (don't ask your neighbour for a recommendation IMO)

Graeme

Last edited:
Hi graeme, thanks for the info. Excuse my ignorance but I take it the fascia boards is the board below the guttering? And the Ridge tiles are the tiles at the point of the roof? The home report didn't mention any of these, is there much involved in getting them done and is there any urgency in this?
All the home report mentioned was it is still the original roof ( house was built 1975) and that there is staining and condensation in the loft, which by the way I have not been in but I believe it is just a loft space (not a room).

Thanks again

Hi,

Yes the fascia is the board behind the guttering. It looks like wood which needs painted. Eventually it will fail and the guttering could come loose.

Yes the ridge tiles are the ones at the apex of the roof. They are held on by mortar that looks weathered. Eventually it will fail and the ridge tiles could blow off hitting something below and letting water into the loft.

Neither is a massive problem just a maintenance issue.

You might find that the vendor installed the vents due to condensation issues.

If it were my house I would just keep an eye on it and look to maintain the other bits when you have time/money.

The ridge tiles next door (left) have been repointed and look a bit of a dogs dinner to me. Hence my comments on that

Others might chip in with more valuable comments, like I said I'm no pro.

Graeme

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back