Anyone changed a pas pump on a mk2 Blingo 1.9d DW8?

N

nauseous

Had the pump just blow off and empty its oil, all over the flipping alternator as well, aint life great..
Having problems removing the last bolt below the pulley which i think only a gynecologist could undo..

Maybe its a garage job idk.

Sponsored Links
I think you can get to this one with a 1/4 inch drive socket through one of the holes in the pulley but I dont remember too clearly!
John :)

I think you can get to this one with a 1/4 inch drive socket through one of the holes in the pulley but I dont remember too clearly!
No room mate. Have used a 13mm open ended spanner on it and managed to get it out about half inch
but the bolt head has a washer type shoulder on it that is forcing the spanner to foul on the side of the the pulley which is deflecting it on to the engine the more it is undone. Looks like it's a longish bolt, maybe another 15 to 25ml to go.
Why do they make these things so fiendishly difficult, I'm thoroughly peed off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry - can't think of what's going on here! I have replaced a Xsara pump on a 2001 car, I thought it was the same engine but possibly not. I remember some bolts were accessible through the pulley holes but I don't recall any issues with the other side.....mind you I use combination ratchet spanners most of the time - could that help?

Sponsored Links
It's possibly a similar engine John, anyway it won't come out without raising the lhs of the engine, which I've
done now and have the bolt out, which is what i should have done in the first place instead of wasting time. Thing is, the engine has now moved back out of skew with its rubber mount and anchor bolt. oh joy..Have left it choked up until tomorrow, done me in tbh. Just have to disconnect the 2 hydraulic lines and whip the pump out. Have a mate coming round tomorrow aft with some 3x3 etc to try to persuade it back in, should be fun. Gulp :)

Gawd - I certainly dont remember having to do that!
However, its common practice to put a trolley jack under the sump and raise and lower the engine to replace the timing belt, so I think it should go back without too many issues. You can usually see the truth marks where the bolts have originally been.
Be lucky!

Phew, that engine took a bit of shifting, even with three of us to guide it back on its mount. Serpentine belt back on
today this afternoon, then it poured down.

So now all it needs is for a steering fluid flush, not too confident about this, I want the new fluid to push out the
old fluid in the rack hose and the ram thingy, not keen on undoing the high pressure hose near the rack so if I just filled the reservoir and held a glass jar under the fluid return hose would that do it?
I know I need to keep turning the steering from lock to lock and keep topping up but not too sure of the correct sequence, like should I do it with the engine off at first then with it on? Have 2 liters of new fluid, hoping I only need just the 1 tho.

I guess you could do it that way....I never have as I've only fitted new, dry racks.
Anyway, fill up the reservoir full, start up and immediately turn the wheel from lock to lock...it may make a few groans at first but that will disappear. Their should be the odd air bubble appear in the tank as the rack bleeds, then top up again when all is well.
Well done on this one - its been a bit of a nightmare!

Sponsored Links
Back