Anyone dared test an RCD this way ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just curious, but has anyone deliberately or accidently touched a live supply and tripped a 30ma RCD, and if so, did they feel a shock before the RCD operated ?

Theoretically it should trip within 2/10 of a second at 30ma fault current
and usually around 25-40ms so I would expect it would be too quick to detect ?

...... :eek: I can't bring myself to put it to the test !!

Sponsored Links
I guess if you try it and don't post back with your results we know your RCD is knackered.

I'm just curious,

Please do not be dead curious ! !

...... :eek: I can't bring myself to put it to the test !!

The reaction time of any mechanical breaker is too slow to remove current before a heart stopping shock has occured.

But it should operate quickly enough to prevent a shock that lasts long enough to be fatal.

So if you grab the live wire and something else provides a return path for a current across your heart it is very likely your heart will stop. If you then collapse and let go of the wire or the RCD operates then, when the current is removed from your heart in less than a second, it will almost certainly re-start by itself.

Stopping the heart with a short burst of electrical current is not definately fatal as the heart will almost always naturally restart itself. Prolonged disruption of the heart by electrical shock causes damage which then prevents the heart re-starting normally by itself.

The electric shocks given by first aiders and doctors to re-start a "dead" heart only work by stopping the heart which is not actually dead but is fibrillating ( vibrating out of control instead of operating in the correct sequence of muscle contractions). Stopping the heart fibrillating gives it the opportunity to re-start in the correct rythm and sequence.

What a fine explanation Mr Green.
But to put in to a more medically in depth analysis.
It also depends how dicky the old ticker is.

Sponsored Links
Yes you get a belt I was chasing wall and cut through horizontal cable with hacksaw blade.
It tripped and I did feel it. And cursed one the guy who fitted the cables and two me for not checking.
I had never expected when fitting a two way switch it would be horizontal and there would be no capping.

I'm after a new pair of shoes, I wonder what size he was?

I'm still alive .

I wast just thinking that as an RCD is supplementary protection against electric shock, to prevent ventricular fibrillation, what the actual effects were on the body before it operates.

Of course I didn't really propose that people shoud stick their fingers behind a live socket, but felt sure that someone would have done so by accident !

Seriously, try it, it's completely safe. You get your question answered and holm gets his shoes, possibly. :eek:

I'm sure it is safe...if not a little uncomfortable. Do you actually think there is a risk of serious harm ? (assuming the RCD has been tested in a more conventional manner and proved operable)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back