Anyone fancy a nice mountain walk?

Sponsored Links
I have walked a section of that, it is in Malaga in southern Spain. There are more sections to it and few more smaller locations in the area too.

It was closed to the public quite recently but people still get into it

It is only for the experienced climber, notice how the cameraman doesn't even use the ropes to walk it, he must have done that a hundred times

Sponsored Links
Tony, that was fantastic!

I have a very poor sense of balance (whether it's to do with my hearing problems no one seems sure) so I really felt the fear watching him do that.

I did watch it right though and felt a tangible sense of relief when the camera stopped running.

Very good.
Looks like an old disused water system. You can see the river below.
Perhaps a mill was driven once upon a time by the set up. A water fall may be close by and the water was directed this route to drive the wheel.
Though the bridge which looked like a large pipe could be a more modern add on and is possibly still flowing water. Perhaps it is now generating electricity. :D
The crumbling pathways look like concrete but I think not modern stuff.
Who knows ?.

Brilliant , what about the guys who built it, :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Cannot imagine how they would start such a project. Although the state of the concrete path reminds me of a builder I once employed - perhaps it was him :)
I have walked a section of that, it is in Malaga in southern Spain.
It is only for the experienced climber, notice how the cameraman doesn't even use the ropes to walk it, he must have done that a hundred times
Whatever section you walked I take my hat of to you.
Even for the experienced to not take precautions to me at least seems foolhardy.
I did watch it right though and felt a tangible sense of relief when the camera stopped running.
Me too!! I realised many years ago when trying to paint upstairs window frames that I was not too keen on heights - couldn't let go of the ladder to put brush to frame :LOL:

Watching it again I thought the camera work really very good, I can only guess that he must have used a chest pod with a steadying device (tried to get a clue from his shadow). He must have left both hands free? He did not appear to use the ropes in the rock face to place any safety line.

Ahh the power of google.

Caminito del Rey

El Caminito del Rey (English: The King's pathway) is a walkway or via ferrata, now fallen into disrepair, pinned along the steep walls of a narrow gorge in El Chorro, near Álora in Málaga, Spain. The name is often shortened to El Camino del Rey.

History

In 1901 it was obvious that the workers of the Chorro Falls and Gaitanejo Falls needed a walkway to cross between the falls, to provide transport of materials, vigilance and maintenance of the channel. Construction of the walkway took four years; it was finished in 1905.

In 1921 the king Alfonso XIII crossed the walkway for the inauguration of the dam Conde del Guadalhorce and it became known by its present name.

In some places the walkway has collapsed

The walkway has now gone many years without maintenance, and is in a highly deteriorated and dangerous state. It is one meter (3 feet) in width, and is over 200 meters (700 feet) above the river. Nearly all of the path has no handrail. Some parts of the concrete walkway have completely collapsed and all that is remaining is the steel beam originally in place to hold it up and the wire that follows most the path. One can latch onto the wire to keep from falling. Many people have lost their lives on the walkway in recent years. After four people died in two accidents in 1999 and 2000, the local government closed the entrances; however, adventurous tourists still find their way into the walkway.

The regional government of Andalusia budgeted in 2006 for a restoration plan estimated at € 7 million.

That's near where I used to live. Looks awesome enough from across the river, must be amazing/terrifying actually going on it :eek:.

Sponsored Links
Back