anyone got a laguna estate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm looking at getting an 01/02 diesel model or possibly other years at varying milages.

Read the reviews etc was wanting personel experiences. What to look out for, running costs, load area, honest appraisels and especialialy any reliability woes. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Recently got rid of a 96 Laguna estate....

Overall its been fine, nothing major has happened to it, the bodywork is a bit flimsy thus prone to dramatic looking damage from the smallest of nudges. I won't be getting another because in my opinion you can get better for the same money (Build Quality Wise)

I have an 02 1.9 turbo diesal estate and it has been nothing short of a disaster tbh - It keeps popping out of 4th gear, the clutch is slipping and now the turbo has blown ( the wkend I was due to part exchange :evil: )
Every mechanic I have spoken to says they are problematic in terms of electrical faults, the 6 speed box and the turbo's ?? I dont know maybe I am just plagued with bad luck ??

I do however think that it looks and drives great....when its working lol

Had an "experience" with one....

Picked up brand new from dealer, on the way home gear box gave up with a bang.

Upon replacement of gear box, ABS gave up on M-way.

Electrical faults everywhere. Speedo/Tacho replaced twice. ECU replaced

Coolant leaks

Powersteering pump failed failed at 10,000

Various Oil leaks

Last seen as a Taxi in Kings Lynn

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Have had a few laguna estates since 1990 (company cars) and apart from the in built radio/sat nav having the odd "moment" they've all been great.

Saying that, back in 94' , after my recommendation, one of my colleagues got one and it was nothing but trouble. 3 times car just completly cut out whilst driving (last time at outside lane on the M4!) which made him get ride of it. There have been a few other "dogs" in the company (ran a fleet of 180 of which about 50% were Laguna's)

Seemed that if the car was a lemon than it was from the very start and despite what was done to try and fix it. If it started okay..it kept okay..

All of mine have been 6 gear diesel estates.....more passenger room but smaller rear area....tighter ride than some but not as comfortable as a large peugoet.

Just be very aware of history of what you buy and if lots of new bits....then pass it buy as a lemon that someones been trying to fix for ages!

I work in a Renault service dept...

To be honest, the Laguna isn't a bad car. BUT...If you get a bad one then you should be afraid!!!

Best advice I can give you would be this...

1. Make sure cambelt kit has been replaced (due every 5 yrs or 72k) or have it done ASAP if you can't verify

2. Ensure the car has proper service history, with correct oil grade used (Renault dealer history would hopefully be fine) to try & avoid possible turbocharger problems

3. Make sure you get a year's MOT with it, that should take care of suspension arms, axle bushes etc

4. Have a decent road test up to motorway speeds to make sure no transmission noises or other issues

I took £1350 from a customer the other day for a major list of stuff on a Laguna of similar age & type, also £900 from another customer, again with similar car for similar list of work.

Get an AA check or something similar done & if in any doubt, walk away, there are loads to choose from.

On the plus side they are a fantastic car to drive, comfy as hell & not too thirsty.

Good luck.

If you do buy a Laguna make sure it comes with a big bag of rear axle bushes and some front wishbone`s, also a few spare turbo`s as they often fail :evil:

I really wouldnt spend my hard earned on an 02 Laguna! If you must buy a Renault get it at 6 months old so alot of the depriciation has happened yet it still has 2.5 years of Warranty, then sell just before Warranty runs out.

Sorry I cant be more positive about Laguna`s but 1 year constanly hammering out Axle bushes and replacing engines in them has really turned me against them :LOL:

Heh heh Kingboy, good point re axle bushes, but hey, if he pays once, at least he'll get a year's worth of replacements under parts warranty!!! You gotta laff!

Sponsored Links
Back