small/medium panel van

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking to buy myself small to medium sized van whose main purpose will be to transport a motorcycle to and from race tracks and im looking for some advice/feedback from van owners on what i should get.

The load area will need to be long enough to fit a sports bike and as i dont have a car im also of the idea that i will use it as an everyday run around vehicle, so something that will fit into a car parking space would be ideal.

I dont know that much about vans but have done a little research so far,
Main things im looking for are:

Long service intervals
Good fuel economy
Decent motorway speeds ( will only be using it a few times a month for long runs so doesn’t need to be mega fast... just not mega slow!)
Reliability
Budget is up to 1200 pounds, i think (not alot to ask for 1200 quid ;) )

So far ive narrowed it down to the following choices: (smallest first)

1.Peugeot expert or Citroen Dispatch (old shape)
The Peugeot/citroen was what i looked at first, loads of them about but getting as bike in is a squeeze.. also head they are not so good for reliability/self maintenance, the standard 1.9 is apparently quite slow on motorways unless you get the HDI model.

2.Nissan vannete cargo/LDV cub
Ideal size for me i think and cheap to buy second hand, but seemingly crap for basic self maintenance and really slow plus no turbo versions were made?

3.Toyota Hiace SWB.
Getting bigger now, a bit more expensive but reviews ive read on this dont fault it much, decent on long journeys/ long service intervals and super reliable, however the personal reviews ive read have been 50/50

4.VW transporter SWB
Loads to choose from and very reliable hence the number of older ones about, costly if something goes wrong though and a bit out the big side, not sure about power issues on earlier models.

Im just looking for more information and personal views/experiences of anyone that might have owned any of the above to help me decide

Any comments are welcome
Ta
:)

Sponsored Links
I would look for a high top van, otherwise getting bike in and out will be a pain [in the back].

Consider a wheelchair carrier conversion - they have a lowered floor, easing the headroom problem, and an access ramp already built in.

Ex - Motability scheme vehicles are often available, and often have a few more creature comforts than a basic van.

We've got eight Citroen Dispatch/Peugeot Expert/Fiat Doblo vans on the firm, the oldest being a 51 plate, the newest a 56, so all old shape. They've all been very reliable, we make sure we keep them well maintained and they don't give any real trouble at all. They might be a bit small for your needs though. We run the HDi models, you're quite right about the non-turbos being sluggish, avoid these.

Have a look at Transits if you want something a bit bigger, again lots of them about and cheaper to buy and repair than a VW Transporter. Go for front wheel drive as the RWD ones have a higher floor to accommodate the transmission, this is probably true for most vans.

Sponsored Links
Thanks mate, ive done a bit more reasearch and found a few guys that fit thier bikes into a dispatch with out too many problems.

Even found a guy who puts his bike and all the spares in a vauxhall combo which is even smaller (see pics)

http://londonbikers.com/forums/Topic451867-33-2.aspx

i think ill go for the dispatch/expert or scudo as the'yll be more practical for every day run around stuff.

cheers[/url]

Back