What small van to buy ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a well used 13yr old peugeot partner van which is going fine.

But longer term, maybe next year, it might be an idea to get a new vehicle.

Now the diesel issue is firmly in my head and i worry diesels will be forced out over the next 5 years.

So couple of questions as would appreciate your opinions:

1) Would you go for a petrol van over a diesel. I do about 8k per yr, so not a huge milage.

2) What recommendations would you make?

I only need the smaller van, so something like the ford connect or a peugeot partner.

3) My only gripe with the Partner is the difficulty getting 1.8m length plaster board into the back. I can get 1.8m and even the 2.4m length boards in there, but the 2.4m boards have you driving tight up against my door. Ok to do it as a one off, but not recommended.

It would be nice however to get the 1.8m boards in flat.

Everything else is great, but i am not fussy and the vehicle is just a work horse for me. I don't care what it looks like or high performance. Just so long as it can take a decent load (prob had 1T in there before, even though the max load is 500kg).

Sponsored Links
The diesel issue isn't going to go away ,but I suspect you'll know better in a years time, the downside to petrol though, is that it won't pull such a load, and I think it'll be a few years before we start getting electric vans - and do you have a charging point to hand.

I've got a ford connect (57 plate) and I now know that I should have gone for the longer model to get the 1.8 boards in upright, but they all go on the roof rack easily. And the fords have the heated windscreen, and that's an absolute boon this time of year. I should also have gone for the 220 model rather than the 200, as the extra power get you into 5 gear quicker, so is more economical.

Sponsored Links
VW Caddy is getting long in the tooth now, but it's (relatively!) simple and proven technology. Caddy Maxi will give you a fair load space volume.

Back