best used van?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Im after a reliable van ive got £4000 to spend and im vary wary about what to buy. I was going to buy a vauxhall vivaro tomoz for £3900 looked great, had 138k on the clock with servic history but someone i know has told me to stear well clear. He had one and after 100k miles had nothing but problems needed new injectors, new gear box, wiring problems, engine management problems. So i dont think im going to bother with a vivaro now. Was thinking about a newer shape transit but again will I get anythign decent for that price? I had a renault master before and had to sell it for spare and repair because the garage wanted £2000 to get it through an mot!!!

Sponsored Links
The Vivaro would be my last choice due to reliability problems, and they often deny fixes, even by Vauxhall!
For me it would have to be a Transit - rusting issues aside. They are well sorted, loads of dealers and an exceptional product in many guises.
One vehicle that I am becoming involved with though is the Iveco Daily (2007 on).....good to drive, repairs are pretty good and paintwork fine. Limited dealer outlets though! Spanish made.
They seem to be a cross between a Ford and a Fiat but if I could find one at the right price (much cheaper than a tranny) I'd look at it very closely.
The wobbly cable gear change is easily sorted (£300) if need be.
John :)

Sponsored Links
im undecided wether to spend the full £4000 or get something for around £2000 like an older shaped transit and then spend a bit of money on it

I rarely spend much more than £500.00 on a vehicle but then I can repair them myself. Take a good mechanic with you when you go to buy. I certainly wouldn't pay a lot extra for a low mileage vehicle, most diesel engines will have a life of well over 200,000 miles so if everything else is in order go for the cheapest you can find - with some expert help.

Peter

Probably anything but a Renault/Vauxhall. I think the Mercs are OK but as John says apart from rust problems the Transit is probably the most straightforward vehicle.

Peter

Hard to get a proper good van ........
But Transit and Volkswagen would be quite good

Renault/Nissan/Vauxhall are not vans that conjure up images of reliability to me, but as I say its hard to get a good one.

Sponsored Links
Back