Anyone got students? How are they managing the money?

Did you see the TV programme t'other night about Australian indigenous art?
All started by an art therapist taking on a whole load of Australian indigenous people who had nothing to interest them.
They started a whole new genre of art and some are now selling for millions.

Yeah and i have seen programmes were congo the chimps paintings went for stupid money or the 2 year old whose paintings are by a typical 2 year old sell for thousands as they say art is in the eye of the beholder.
I wonder how much debt someone got in to teach this elephant how to paint

Sponsored Links
Medical

Engineering

( probably others ?)

Should all be entirely free and well funded imho

All these mamby pamby caper / courses should not be imo

Should all be entirely free and well funded imho
Sometime the gov helps out a bit. They did with nurses but not sure if they have continued to do that. A bursary.

The gov have admitted one problem on the medical side.On the job training places. it needs to be a teaching hospital and there are only so many places. When we hear about shortages though ????????? but how does that work. An experianced person may walk round with 1/2 dozen or so in training talking to patients and then asking them for suggestions. I suppose at some point they are "let more loose" over time.

Same with GPs. Our local practice is registered for training. An initial period but when one stays they can be seen discussing things with a more senior partner, One of those may get called in when a patient is interviewed as well. They also have meetings to discuss some patients even with ones that do have experience.

My head is perfectly ok inside with no need for an art therapist needed let alone to cure me of self inflicted drug and substance abuse
How would you know?
You aren't QUALIFIED to make that judgment ;) .

Sponsored Links
Wife did that. She never used it, apart from pointing out drumlins and pingos, shield volcanos and pahoehoe lava. But she wouldn't have got the job/career without it.
Fire me it was the research, analysis and writing that was key. I used to hate writing, but by the end of the degree of was easy to write a 1000 essay without referring to notes. Eventually became a web copywriter and content manager on the back of those skills.

Transferable skills. That's the key takeaway for someone who does a degree.

The skills:
Research
Critical thinking
Time management
Team working
Concise reporting
Scientific and Mathematical skills (in some)
Creative/imaginative thinking
Project management
Communication
IT skills

Just a few, I'm tired lol

Show me a degree course that cannot and does not nurture and test and assess those skills and I'll agree the study is a waste of the student's time. So, just because the degree is called:

Gender Studies
Women's Studies
Media Studies
Fabric Design
History of (insert topic to ridicule)
21st Century Culinary Studies
PPE
Classics
Latin
Welsh!

does not mean it's incapable of developing those skills.

And the two things missing from your list are the main things . #Common sense and actually being able to do the job in practise not just in theory

being able to do the job in practise
You do have a point there but that comes from some one who has always worked in technical areas. I'd guess the same applies in other areas. It's bound to.

Creative and imaginative thinking is a tricky one too.

I have worked with a fair number of them and also higher qualification levels in several places. Also interviewed them for a job. A qualification really when it comes to that is a metric. It doesn't really set an ability level in all areas. That varies.

You sure as heck won't be able to "do the job in practise" if you haven't learned what's what in theory.
Transferable skills. That's the key takeaway for someone who does a degree.

The skills:
Research
Critical thinking
Time management
Team working
Concise reporting
Scientific and Mathematical skills (in some)
Creative/imaginative thinking
Project management
Communication
IT skills

Just a few, I'm tired lol

Show me a degree course that cannot and does not nurture and test and assess those skills and I'll agree the study is a waste of the student's time. So, just because the degree is called:

Gender Studies
Women's Studies
Media Studies
Fabric Design
History of (insert topic to ridicule)
21st Century Culinary Studies
PPE
Classics
Latin
Welsh!

does not mean it's incapable of developing those skills.

I don't agree.
Look at the 10 most popular degrees, they're knowledge heavy. Most of those other skills you list are incidental.
If you do a Chem Eng degree, how many of those you list are taught? Almost none.
If you want to employ someone to design something - anything, (other than clothes) then all your second list are utterly useless.

Let's say I want someone to interface between nerves in an arm and a robotic hand. Or get a satellite into orbit or develop an organism which can break down plastics in sea water, or a database for a tax and benefits system, or an algorithm for curating art in a museum or the social infrastructure for a new town?

Nobody's going to pick that up on a soppy evening NVQ taught at a pedestrian pace to people of limited learning ability; the person has to know lot of complicated stuff.
Am I going to be even slightly interested in looking at someone who's hot on womens' studies or cooking? Go away.

Anyone who ranted on about common sense and practical skills with a spanner would fall flat on their face and make themselves look silly. If you want to be a manual operative all your life who only needs to do a few sums now and again then fine, don't go to a university.

There seems to an assumption that students will work their way through uni. But this is not really possible for most. Most need to study very hard to get a good degree, working a job is not feasible. And many are in campuses where there're are no jobs. There isn't enough work available for all students. We need to remind ourselves why there are so many kids at uni -. It was a government policy to make lower unemployment figures.
My degree was 6 months study, 6 months work for the first 3 years and then one full academic year. It meant we had no holidays, but I was able to get short term contracts for my placements and earned enough to get me through. Sadly these thin sandwich courses seem to have disappeared.

I don't agree.
I don't either. Take a subject I have mentioned before - electronics. It should be safe to assume that a fresh graduate will have any maths they need. Much of that will relate to analogue and probably control loops even in software - maybe indirectly. In practice capabilities vary. Knowledge of components as well. A subject that is always changing. The other areas can too. This is typical of many areas.

A side issue. My son came back with a 1st. Mentioned to some one in the legal profession who pointed out that these often aren't popular in his area. Understandable really. Proud of themselves and gods gift to their subject. However they lack real experience.

By that thinking a chemistry graduate who chooses to be a teacher, has totally wasted 3 years? Of course not. However, most of what he/she learned will be useless in an 11 to 16 school or a sixth form college- they'll never impart that knowledge to the kids, so what was the point? Mine is that none of the learning was wasted.

You think a degree is only useful if you can manage a control loop or send a rocket to space on day 1?

Who on earth is suggesting that a fabric design grad is a good fit for electronics or law? I'm not.

Sponsored Links
Back