Anyone in S Cumbria want to tackle this little gem - ancient church heating system leak ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's this system again ...
As I mentioned at the end of that thread, we decamped to the church hall for a couple of months - smaller and cheaper to heat. Left the church just running on the frost protection, till it ran out of oil because I'd not been keeping a good enough eye on it :rolleyes:
On the upside, without the boiler running at all, I was able to determine that there is a leak. At one point there was a significant drip from the ballcock, but it did seem to reduce after a while. Had a good look round, including moving some carpentry for a better look, and found this gem
20230311_121101.jpg

To the right is a pair of 3" (or thereabouts) pipes that run along the bottom of the wall. To the left, the 2" pipes join together - and since the fan-coils were fitted then converts to 22mm copper.

My thoughts would be to cut the 3" pipes back a bit to clean metal, find compression fittings a bit like the ones in the picture and go straight to copper, binning the short bit of 2" iron to the left. Not planning on trying it myself - apart from lack of time, my insurance doesn't cover any form of plumbing (would double the premium :eek:).
Anyone in the S Cumbria area fancy tackling it ?

As an aside, I have learned a bit more about the history of the system. I did know that the oil boiler was 2nd hand in the 70s when the church got electricity, but nothing more. Last year an ex churchwarden died (in his 80s or 90s I think), and apparently as a youngster he would walk down to the church on a Saturday morning to light the old coke fired boiler - and keep it stoked up to heat the church ready for the service on Sunday. That would date the system at least back to the 50s, and I assume it wasn't new then.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back