Heating system will not fill Help wanted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have a heating system with a small header tank in the loft i recently had a leak in by the pump wich was reparied by british gas but the system failed to refill they advised me that i have some blocked pipes in loft and the air seperator is blocked they quoted me £785.00 to replace blocked pipe work remove air seperator and power flush the system .
i am quite able to remove and replace the pipes my self but i am not sure about removing the air seperator as it is currently piped as this 15mm inlet from header tank 22mm vent pipe to header tank 22mm pipe top pump 22mm pipe from boiler.
if i do away with the air seperator how is the pipe work configured
is it possible to clean out the air seperator
do i need an air seperator
also would it be advisable to flush the system when the pipes are replaced

some advise on this would be appreciated
regards

Sponsored Links
With a little trying you may well be able to find the same model air separator, in which case I'd cut it out and replace it, with new stubs of pipe a few inches long.
Yes you probably can clean it out well enough, with screwdriver/drain pipe cleaning spring/descaling chemicals.

Look for Myson aerjec, Tower, maybe others.

eg
11334.gif

?Powerflush the rest - see if it works, first!

Fitting an aerjec is no different than soldering four pipes!

You say the pump is off the top one of the 2 connections. I do not know which air seperator you have but the one that chris has posted would have very top = vent, bottom right cold fill or pump, top left flow from boiler, bottom left cold fill or pump.

As you say you are confident with pipe work then it should be easy for you to do.

BG may do a good job but what a quote!!

If you had had someone local he would have probably fixed the blockage at the same time and for around £60/70 + parts. I know I would.

But then I suppose BG fitters are on more time constraints with other work booked in to follow. I would have just 'phoned next customer, apologised and said I was running about an hour late :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back