Anyone installed an Ecobee3 thermostat in U.K./ Europe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the market for a smart thermostat and while nest looks the easiest to install the Ecobee3 looks more functional and with its addition sensors more 'smart'.

My issue is this is a 24v thermostat. I have a Worcester cdi 35ii which has a wireless (240v) Honeywell at the moment but according to the manual also has a 24v port marked as ST-13 which looks like it's for a thermostat.

Has anyone installed a Ecobee3 in Europe or can anyone confirm if the ST-13 port is for a 24v room thermostat?

Sponsored Links
ST13 is indeed for 24v controls. What functions are you expecting to get with an Ecobee that you're not getting with a stat currently available in the UK, other than the remote room sensors (which Heat Genius will give you if you think those are important)?

I installed a Ecobee and love it, just used a 24v Relay to switch 240V and it works fantastic.

Reactions: CBW
Thanks muggles and wcavanah. It's really encouraging that someone's got it working over here, it looks like a great product. The reason i'm interesting in moving from a wireless solution is I think the idea of a 'smart' device taking away the variables that can exist with a simple thermostat being very useful and saving me the energy of slightly altering the programs all through the winter and never really getting the house at the right temperature all the time.

With regards to installation then should I just be able to use the 24v switch on the Worcester? wcavanagh how many wires did you need. I'm guessing 3? One common, one live and a live switch return? C, Rh and W I think they are labeled on american devices like Ecobee? Also are there any America only features, ie can you still get software updates, can it be changed to celcius and does weather work this side of the pond?

muggles do I just put the jumper back in the 240v connector and take the one out of the 24v and the boiler carries on as normal?

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
I've just had a look at the boiler and where the ST13 connector should be according to the manual there are terminals on the Pcb but not screw type terminal connectors. Do I need to put the terminal block on my self?

wcavanagh can you add a link to the type of relay you used? Where are you getting the 24v from?

My boiler needed a 240V switched live at the thermostat input. Two terminals, permanent 240V out to the relay, to the common leg, then from the normally open leg of the relay back to the switched 240V to fire the boiler. Exactly the same as any dry contact thermostat. I just used a 24V PSU for the Ecobee and looped this to the Relay coil. Very easy.

Thanks wcavanagh could you post a link to the type of relay you're describing. I understand the concept but not sure exactly what part I require.

Thanks.

Can anyone help me find a relay for this appliance? There will be 240v on the boiler side of the relay but only 24v going through the core from the thermostat side.

Hello everyone :)

I want to install the ecobee in my apartment and like most Europeans installation i saw i only have 2 wires coming in. Those wires are marked as Q11 and Q14 respectively.
A photo of the wiring is attached and the manual for my current thermostat is here (model RDE100.1 )

I will have a voltage meter available tomorrow to verify what i am feeding to the thermostat.

Do you have recommendation on how to install the ecobee? i want to make sure i fully understand what i need to do.

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20170118_172714.jpg
    IMG_20170118_172714.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 759
I know this is an old post, but I'm trying to do exactly the same thing, and my electrician has given up trying to get this arrangement to work, so looking for some help. I ended up buying an Aube Technologies RC840T to facilitate this, but reading wcavanagh's comment suggests it should be easier than this, and I can see that you're still active on here, so was dearly hoping you could share a simple wiring diagram using the 24v relay you shared above? Big thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi @wcavanagh, same here, I sent you a message last week. I would appreciate any help.

Many thanks in advance! :)

Ok, got this working......

You need one of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Technologies-RC840T-240-Switching-Electric-Transformer/dp/B0037MXM1C?th=1

Wired like this:
1671711078126.png

R, W & C to the EcoBee are fairly self explanantory (Ignore the PEK wire, not required):

1671711152159.png

On the boiler side, in my case a Worcester Bosch, red to the switched load (LR) (radiator symbol), Blue to (N)eutral (OUT) and Black to (L)ive (OUT) ------ (Ignore the wiring in the photo below, this was prior to install with the old thermostat still in situ whilst figuring this all out)

1671711277857.png

I know an electrician based out of Stoke who now knows how to install low voltage thermostats with 240v controlled boilers in this manner. He also knows how to install Lightwave Smart switches since working on this project, if you need help with this also

1671711425444.png

I hope this helps, it's taken me over a year to get to this point!!

Cheers,
Martyn

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back