Anyone know about fire resistance requirements on solid wood construction?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found this online looking into fire-safety for a solid-log building: http://www.structuraltimber.co.uk/assets/InformationCentre/eb7.pdf
There seems to be some good information but I don't really understand what it's telling me in terms of what is actually required and whether treatment might be needed for a given thickness of material.

I was googling fire treatment products and came upon this interesting page:
https://www.tdca.org.uk/faq/timber-...ld-timber-cladding-be-fire-retardant-treated/
However this is focusing on wood cladding; while one imagines the same underlying principles apply the material thickness would be much less and this appears to be a factor.
Both my first link and this site (https://www.timbercladdingsolutions.co.uk/fire-protection-service/) talk about rating in the form "Euroclass B-s1-d0", is that a key way to measure this sort of thing?

What regulations apply here and, in practice, has anyone got any experience in this area whether a solid log construction building would require cladding/treatment on the interior for fire resistance reasons?

Sponsored Links
If a specific case helps, I'm talking about solid wood log walls made of 70mm thick slow-grown spruce but interested in general principles.

As you are talking about the interior, are you confusing fire resistance with surface-spread of flame? - the two are separate.
Does the structure actually have to comply with Building Regulations if it is a log cabin(?).

I am asking about both I suppose, or asking generally what is relevant and when.

And yes we are doing a full submission to local BC but it's a self-build project, and the supplier doesn't provide anything. From our initial plans we submitted, one query they raised was: "Please provide details of the fire resistance of the internal walls/finishings." Obviously that's not necessarily implying a problem but we're not sure how to provide this information, if we can tell them the materials or must provide information in some technical format.

Sponsored Links
Is this the same shack that you are sorting out the roof joists - and yet its a proprietary system made building?

Why not just go to a proper company and buy it from someone who provides all the structural design and fire safety work as a package?

Because it costs 3 times as much, maybe more
Because it's already paid for and shipped
Because we don't have 3 months to wait.
Feel like I've said all this before.

It's easier to view it as a self build with the cabin company supplying the logs precut really. Maybe that's a better way to describe it.

Feel like this is not on topic though

Last edited:
I am asking about both I suppose, or asking generally what is relevant and when.

And yes we are doing a full submission to local BC but it's a self-build project, and the supplier doesn't provide anything. From our initial plans we submitted, one query they raised was: "Please provide details of the fire resistance of the internal walls/finishings." Obviously that's not necessarily implying a problem but we're not sure how to provide this information, if we can tell them the materials or must provide information in some technical format.

Is the structure less than 1 metre to boundary?

I wonder if BC are getting a bit touchy after Grenfell?

Is the structure less than 1 metre to boundary?

I wonder if BC are getting a bit touchy after Grenfell?
Nah in the middle of a garden nowhere near anything.

I should stress they haven't raised concerns just asked for information. I'm just unsure what they actually want from us, unless it's to confirm if the interior will be clad or treated or left bare, and getting replies can take a few days

Well IIRC, this will have commercial use and so the requirements for fire safety will be over and above the basic requirements of the building regulations, so don't just concentrate on those.

Well IIRC, this will have commercial use and so the requirements for fire safety will be over and above the basic requirements of the building regulations, so don't just concentrate on those.
Indeed, we've been asked about fire exits and exit plans and fire doors. There's actually a fair amount of common sense in smaller buildings in some of these things from our research though, contrary to fears about "health and safety gone mad"... Even down to shouting "fire"in some cases.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back